I Need a camera for research

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laker - if you build & test manually a 'torpedo' like sensor in shallow water with you holding it, work out the bugs, then try from a boat for the other wrecks.

My worry is snag on the wreck though...

I've seen in the past other projects, listed on MakeZine. See link MAKE | Search

Methinks you need a sponsor...!

There are other 'Kickstarter' - like collaboration sites out there, for collecting funds for Project X. Get some 50 people to send you 20$ . . .

Plus it promotes science.

Do you have any other photography equipment other than the t2? My wife and I bought a used ikelite housing (rated to 300') for $800, and a used ikelite strobe for around $400 for our canon. We still had to buy a ttl cable for $100, so even that is over $1200, but not by alot. You can insure the camera if it will help your wife let you take it underwater.

I would start by getting a used Aquatica housing for the T2i and the Tokina 10-17 lens. A reasonable strobe and a small (4 inch) dome port for shooting CFWA. The diving part is up to you but this combo will give you publication quality photos to use for a thesis but it isn't yet clear what you are taking pictures of (in detail). A better idea of your subject(s) will help refine that idea.
Bill

That's like 4k$ right there excluding the camera! That's the setup I wish to upgrade to in the future. I hate P&S, I tolerate the 4/3 & mirrorless, I love DSLR.

I would start by getting a used Aquatica housing for the T2i and the Tokina 10-17 lens. A reasonable strobe and a small (4 inch) dome port for shooting CFWA. The diving part is up to you but this combo will give you publication quality photos to use for a thesis but it isn't yet clear what you are taking pictures of (in detail). A better idea of your subject(s) will help refine that idea.
Bill

LakerPride, I'd look at an IkeLite housing for a P&S camera like the Canon S series (S90, S95, or S100) or G series (G10, G11, G12). Those housings are only rated to 200', but that would cover most of the dives you'd be doing. And chances are, it would survive one slightly deeper dive to 220' or 230'. A package like this might be a good option, if you can find a G11 or G12 for a good price:

G11/G12 Housing & Strobe Pkg. - Ikelite Digital Housings - Ikelite Photo & Video - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!

Take a look at the classifieds section of this site - packages like the one above pop up from time to time.

James

Awesome guys great info thanks, I'll take a look at all of those, what about the 10 Bar housing for the D90, I can get a D90 with lens for 1100, and a case for 600, then I would need to pony up for the strobe out of pocket. The 10 Bar says they are rated (go figure) to 10 Bar or 300'.

10Bar also makes a housing for the Canon G11/12 and the S95. I don't know if you noticed but the suggested working pressure for their housings is 60M/180' - IDK what that means exactly.

What about an HD video camera instead? This one shoots 11MP stills also:
The GoPro Hero HD2 - Wearable and gear mountable, waterproof to 197′ (60m), capable of capturing professional full 170º wide angle 1080p video and 11 megapixel photos at a rate of 10 photos per second.
$299 - http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero2-outdoor-edition/ IDK if what your filming moves but it also has a .5 sec Time lapse mode. And an integrated battery warmer for cold temps. An LCD BacPac is $80 more. It shoots nice HD video, there's examples in the U/W Video forum here on SB.

If you need more depth, Sartek makes a GoPro housing good to 750' - yes seven hundred and fifty - for $400. It's not clear from their website what controls are accessible though if any - Sartek Industries Product Details An option is a clear display back - I would assume that's so you can see the Bacpac LCD.

They also sell a combo camera/housing package good to 240' for $295 but it only does 8MP stills. Sartek Industries Product Details

Of course then you need light(s). Aditech makes a 4320lumen/40 watt video light that retails for $635 - $735 if you want it in a canister model - might be easier as the GoPro housings are tiny and this light isn't. Those may be prices in Europe though, Reef Photo lists it at $949.

It's good to 200M/660' The burn time is an hour at 100% and 3 hours at 60%. That should be plenty of light even 250' down in the Great Lakes - but verify that with someone locally. It's a really bright light, my buddy has one. Shop - Mangrove - Aditech | Underwater video and photo online store

They also sell a smaller 2280lumen/20 watt model. It's $790. Reef Photo in Ft. Lauderdale sells them. http://reefphoto.com/shop/index.php...9c806c88dfdc2b88ee75e651ee642&main_page=index

Add about $200 for a good tray/handle/arm combo and you're still under 2K - and a lot deeper than you need.

When you push a 200' rated Ikelite poly housing past that, the controls often compress and freeze up - sometimes activating whatever they're controlling non-stop. So although the box/glands can take it, you can't always use it deeper.

That's what I was worried about, the functionality at depth. I need to be able to take closeup pictures of Zebra Mussel formations on wrecks, water intakes, and power/communication lines. Also I need to be able to take wider angle pictures of algae blooms and mussel colonies. Also I want to be able to add as much perspective as I can to the location in reference to position on the wreck/intake etc. I will take a close look at your suggestions, thanks!

Fisheye FIX S100 Underwater Housing for Canon PowerShot S100 Camera
This option gives you a 230ft. depth limit and a quality camera but no strobe at that price. You might be able to rent one. I don't know if the fix housing allows the built in flash. It might be useful for the type of macro stuff you're looking at, but if the water quality is poor you'll get a lot of backscatter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom