I need a good gun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tiger Woods uses a Riffe.

Snce you are in Florida, contact Kevin at Spearfishing Specialties in St. Petersburg
(727) 323-7686 or slingingsteel.com . He offers some good entry level as well as professional guns. I have a 48" Classic, which is basically a customized Sea Hornet, and includes the speed loader you mentioned. He may have some other suggestions for your area.

WhaleHarpGun1.jpg

I only break this baby out for special company .. :)

ksb070279:
Thanx for all of your suggestions. It has helped me alot. Are there any special features that i shouldnt live without? Like a quick loader (I think tht is what it is called) ect..

It's generally a good idea to test shoot a new gun to see and feel how it shoots. Especially if you are new to spearfishing, this can be done underwater with targets (aluminum cans) so you can concentrate on the gun instead of the prey.

You can add accessories afterwards and judge for yourself if they make improvements, often many do not. Simplicity is a big virtue, avoid complexity.

Read all you can about spearfishing and guns, before making choices that might be specific to one area or style of shooting.

Most of the differences in performance that custom and high end production guns can provide will be range related when shooting with lines.

Freeshafts work very well in most Florida waters. I found the panhandle to be no exception. A solid middle priced production gun, if 48" or above, can be very effective freeshafting for bottom fish.

Here's a link to a St Pete Times spearfishing article that you might find useful. Check the hot buttons in the "Sections", under the photo. http://www.sptimes.com/2006/webspecials06/gb-spearfishing/

Chad

Riffe.

I started with a Biller 38 special and quickly realized it had no range or killing power.
My next gun was a Riffe competitor # 2 48". Best gun I ever had. Perfect for bottom fishin' around rocks and reef. It's floating somewhere South of the Dry Tortugas.
My current gun is a Riffe standard #4 61". No more trying to get close, you can take the long shot and bring down the fish. 65" of cold rolled steel is gonna leave a mark...

Look the competitor #2. It's an easy to use gun that you'll be happy with for a long time.....

http://speargun.com/

rigdiver:
Is he a world class spearo?

I don't know, but it's a great sales pitch. He does use Riffe and it's said that he free dives over 100 ft.

Chad Carney:
I believe Daryl Wong was the first to say that it's the Indian and not the arrow that makes the big difference.

No way Chad. I bought a set of irons and a driver like Tiger's and I'm shooting in the high 60s now. :D

All the fish in my gallery were shot with a 54" Biller.Most were freeshafted with a paralyzer tip.I have friends who are better than I and they use JBLs cheapest 48" guns and shoot nice fish.

Back
Top Bottom