I need a good gun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ironhed:
.....If I am diving a wreck where I know I will be shooting mango's that are darting in and out of spots I chose to take my other gun, if I am diving ledges or culvert piles I take the MGS .......

Andy, that is a perfect example/explanation of why a new hunter can't just ask "What's Gun should I buy?" There are so many different situations like you described that there is no 1 perfect gun. Wreck hunting, Gulf shooting, East FLA, freediving, bluewater, and low viz all have individual guns that shoot better than another. I own 3 guns now and it's still not the right mix and setups. For most of my dives, I need super fast re-load times, but I won't get distance on a single band. But on other dives, it's going take a hail-mary shot. There is not a perfect gun.

Hey Tom, knock it off with that old Chad stuff! It's bad enough looking in the mirror, I don't need to read about it here too!

I agree with Johnoly, a new diver needs to realize there will be many guns if he stays with the sport. That said if a new diver does his homework about where and how the majority of his spearing will take place, there are many guns that can cover very large amounts of realestate and range of species.

But even when you own them you may not be wise enough to bring them. Today I needed my short (Ray Odor three piece -one) polespear for dirty water, but it sat in the corner of my garage, while I struggled with too big of a speargun.

When it comes to Wong spearguns, I like rear handle plus. Maximum reach and power. Chest loading is different but it's just another trick in the repertoire.

Chad

Chad Carney:
Hey Tom, knock it off with that old Chad stuff! It's bad enough looking in the mirror, I don't need to read about it here too!

I agree with Johnoly, a new diver needs to realize there will be many guns if he stays with the sport. That said if a new diver does his homework about where and how the majority of his spearing will take place, there are many guns that can cover very large amounts of realestate and range of species.

But even when you own them you may not be wise enough to bring them. Today I needed my short (Ray Odor three piece -one) polespear for dirty water, but it sat in the corner of my garage, while I struggled with too big of a speargun.

When it comes to Wong spearguns, I like rear handle plus. Maximum reach and power. Chest loading is different but it's just another trick in the repertoire.

Chad

The “old” title was meant out of respect It was just a quick dive plan thought up if I was to go up against a seasoned diver on his turf. More than likely that diver would know where the honey hole is on the structure and if there was no fish visible I would watch to see what he may lure out of the woodwork. Beside now days it’s getting hard for me to find an older diver on most dives!! :D

I understand the need for the different guns. As the old saying goes “you don’t want to bring a knife to a gun fight” with this said I don’t feel comfortable suggesting a rear handle gun to a new spearfisher either. For the simple reason so many have such a hard time loading them. It would seem putting brand names aside, a decent mid size gun would make for a nice starter gun. From there they can develop a taste for the sport and develop some bottom time which is most important.

After awhile they will get the feeling what they would like or don’t like in a gun. Heck I just pick me up a cheap Alum. JBL to mess around on the jetties with I don’t mind this gun dropping and bouncing along the rocks. Which I would never do with one of my wood guns

my next gun from daryl will be a 50" carbon hybrid with the rear half being enclosed track. I feel this gun will give me good manuverability and will be easy to load as the enclosed track guides in the shaft in the right position every time no fumbling underwater. This gun will most likely replace my aimrite 100cm railgun. I like the railgun except for when I am underwater trying to reload it I seem to have a little difficulty getting the shaft in the trigger mechanism and it takes a little more time to load than it does my enclosed track wong. Daryl does a black epoxy finish as an option and with the carbon fiber it is simply a work of art. I have a few more months to pay up on a bill but once it is done I plan to order this gun.

Buy a Biller or a Riffe (more expensive-better quality). You can't go wrong. Both do the job, reliable, accurate- PARTS AVAILABLE!!!

Good info..

:wink:

I have it one 2 years ago..

So far I have read nothing but ocean spero reports here. Everyone seems to be saying get a 50", 60" or that 70" is reallly great!

There is a nother world of spearing out there. Cold, dark, murky, inland waters. If I could SEE 60" while underwater, I'd be thrilled. I'd like to here from some inland hunters here.

FD

fire_diver:
So far I have read nothing but ocean spero reports here. Everyone seems to be saying get a 50", 60" or that 70" is reallly great!

There is a nother world of spearing out there. Cold, dark, murky, inland waters. If I could SEE 60" while underwater, I'd be thrilled. I'd like to here from some inland hunters here.

FD

The Gulf and Bays on the Florida west coast very often have very limited visibility close to shore, so we sometimes use pole spears and also use our shortest guns in the same position that a billiards player uses a cue stick. That way a longer spear can still be used for more impact than possible with a tiny gun.

But ultimately it all depends on the visibilty and the fish you're targeting. Go with all the gun it allows.

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom