I Need Info on Honduras & Roatan Really Soon!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

got4boyz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK, ok, I know I've been procrastinating, but I'm heading for Honduras on Saturday for our 20th Anniversary trip and I need some info.

We will arrive La Ceiba late Saturday afternoon, too late to take the ferry to Roatan so need a decent, but cheap place to stay in La Ceiba for a couple nights. Any recommendations?

We don't dive on Sundays so won't head to Roatan until Sunday afternoon. Is there anything interesting and close to La Ceiba to do for the day?

We will dive in Roatan for three days. We just want a decent but inexpensive place to stay that's close to restaurants. Don't need a night life! Any recommendations?

Any recommendations for a good dive op? We don't want to bring our scuba stuff since it's so expensive now with the new stupid luggage rules so need a place that has good equipment.

What are the water temps there? Best places to dive? Someone told me I needed to dive with the dolphins. Where do I do that?

After diving we go back to the mainland to visit the Mayan ruins of Copan. Are there any other things to do on the mainland that anyone would recommend. We have four days to kill there unless I can talk my husband into diving for 4 days instead of three!

Thanks so much for any and all info.

Be certain to post a trip report and tell us how this worked out.

:popcorn:

Can't really help you with your mainland experience but once on Roatan (or before you get there) I would recommend Mayan divers. Mayan Divers, PADI courses, Scuba diving Roatan Honduras.

They are located in the Mayan Princess resort at West bay. I have dived with them a number of times and you will find a great staff, a great boat and most likely an uncrowded adventure. Not sure where you are staying on Roatan but West Bay is a beautiful beach. Personally, I would take my regs and masks at least and of course your wet suits. You should be able to pack all of thsoe in a couple of bags and with six of you traveling you won't get dinged for luggage if you keep them under 50lbs. International flights have less strigent rules.
If you wanted to rent BCs and fins while there I am sure you will be accommodated. I was there a few weeks ago and saw some women getting cold in a 3 mil so a 5mil for those easily chilled may not be out of the question. Oh yeah.... you are a procrastinator :)... Hope all goes well for you and don't forget to follow up with a trip report.

Bruce

You might be able to find a zip line tour near la Ceiba. I would just take the Sunday morning ferry and kick back when you get to Roatan. You can contemplate things on the beach.

My favorite place to stay is Arco Iris in West End:

Posada Arco Iris - Lodgings

Do not bother with air conditioning this time of year, you will not need it. Prices are low, the hot water works and there is daily maid service. The owner is on premises, and his help has been there quite a while.

Its right next to the best restaurant in West End, the Argentinian Grill, same owner as the hotel. Other places are within a short walk. West End is not very big.

Most recently my diving was with Coconut Tree Divers:

http//www.coconuttreedivers.com/

I was very happy with them. Their boat goes out for a 2 tank trip in the morning and twice in the afternoon for one tank each. That is nice if you want to sleep in or only feel like doing one dive.

Water temp has been 78F, cool for the Caribbean. You will need a full suit. CTD had rental two piece suits that should do the job if you don't have a good suit. I would recommend a 5 mil, 5/4 or new 3 with a chicken vest if you have one. I wore a very worn out (totally shot) 3 and a chicken vest and was a bit on the cool side, especially on the second dive. Bring a water resistant shell to wear on the boat in case it is windy.

We're going to stay at Rainbow Village near the airport in Le Cieba for our layover in May they shuttle you around. We stayed at Foster's in West Bay last May, reasonable descent place with a nice restaurant. There was a new dive operation starting up there don't know how they are but not a big operation.

I did the shark dive it was awesome, some of the divers I dove with did the dolphin dive at Anthoney's Key and they liked it.

West End is a budget destination with a funky small town atmosphere. West Bay is more upscale, more expensive and has a resort atmosphere. They are about 2 miles apart on the same end of the island and the dive shops in either area will be taking you to the same sites. Choose whichever suits your budget & tastes.

Thanks for all your replies. West End sounds like my kind of place! : )

I guess I'd better check my geography. I thought it would be hot there! I was surprised at the 5 mil suit too. I dive in my 5 mil in California in 65 degree water. LOL

But my husband gets colder than me so maybe he'll have to rent a 5 mil because he only owns a shortie 3 mil.

Are the dolphins in the wild or penned in some where? And are their whale sharks there this time of year and if so I guess you tell the dive op you want to see them?

Hey MrLipis - will definitely bring own regs and masks. And this is our 20th anniversary trip so we won't be bring the 4 boys this time. LOL

ScubaMork - thanks for the info for La Ceiba.

I'll do a little research and get back with you on what I decide. Gotta hurry because I gotta pack today too!

You know leadweight, your suggestion to head over to Roatan Sunday morning is not a bad idea. Will need that time to relax since today and tomorrow will be crazy busy getting ready, and Saturday will be a LONG travel day.

@Beth,

The locals on Roatan say this is the coldest winter in 5 or 6 years. Some nights last month the air temperature dropped to 68F and on those days the high was in the low 70's. Usually the water is 80F in the winter with some surface warming. There was not much surface warming in January and as mentioned above the water was usually 78F.

I actually hope the cooler conditions continue through summer or even for another season. The coral is damaged by the 84F (or higher) water temperatures seen in recent years. It would be great for the coral if it got a break from the warming.

While down there I saw turtles on half the dives, lots of fish, two dives with an eagle ray, large green Moray eels, many large crabs and the usual assortment of lobsters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom