I need info on the lack of hyperbaric chambers in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should call/visit Edd at Cave Adventurers. Many times events like this don't get put into writing. IWRC happens alot more, but it's kept quiet.
Good call, I've invited him to this thread.

Mild DCS symptoms are a bit nebulous and my experiences have convinced me that treating early probably prevents mild symptoms from getting much worse. As a result, anytime that I suspect that something doesn't feel right, or it might be more that a sore mussel, I jump back in... preferable with a bottle of O2. Is that IWR or just a reluctance to share my concern with everyone onboard? Well, sort of. I haven't been officially diagnosed with the bends yet and would like to keep it that way. I will also extend stops when I have the gas. There is a broad and fuzzy gray zone that I try hard not to cross.

I haven't been officially diagnosed with the bends yet
We're looking for incidents where DCS was obvious and the outcome was worsened because of it. I understand the reticence of some to share that info, but that's actually not helping us to resolve it. We can't fix it when we don't see a problem.

... I understand the reticence of some to share that info, but that's actually not helping us to resolve it. We can't fix it when we don't see a problem.

No question true, but I have to wonder how many serious cases that would otherwise be officially diagnosed as DCS are nipped in the bud by making a repetitive dive on O2? Unless it is pretty bad, it isn't DCS until a doctor diagnoses it as DCS... and even then they are guessing unless they have a Doppler instrument to prove it.

Pete we have actually remediated a lot of "real" DCS with IWR.Including a guy that manages to get bit by sharks and have partial paralysis every few years.Has about 12 to 15k dives.
I jump in if I violate my ceiling hard or feel what may be construed as onset of symtoms.I am a little more OCD about my ascent and deco than some of the guys getting tweaked.

We have chambers pretty easily available in Jax.

. . .Local diver, Steve Wells, died Nov. 25 [2016] because he allegedly failed to receive treatment in time for the bends, sparking renewed interest in diver safety along the Northwest Florida Gulf Coast. An autopsy is still being conducted to determine the cause of death. . .

. . .the only hospitals left in Florida that provide service to divers are all located in South Florida — Fort Myers, West Palm Beach, Miami and Key Largo. . .

Scuba Dive at Your Own Risk | Inweekly

Also:
Dcs Incident At Ginnie Springs

Cave Diver's Forum

Rule Out Pulmonary DCI (the chokes): characterized by (1) inspiratory burning and substernal discomfort, (2) non-productive coughing that can become paroxysmal like a coughing fit, and (3) severe respiratory distress. This occurs in about 2% of all DCI cases and can end in death. Symptoms can start up to 12 hours after a dive and persist for 12-48 hours.

Last edited:
My treatment was delayed. I was taken to the wrong hospital (Orlando) by helicopter no less (well turned around just short of destination). Then dropped at a hospital further away than I needed to go. They couldn't fly South due to wearher.
I am ok now. But there was a whole lot of wtf going on with ems. They even talked of sending me to Gainesville!
I found this thread while searching for chambers that will treat divers in emergencies in Florida as I am ignorant on the subject. Obviously this is a problem.
This was an unexpected hit. Symptoms did not show until drive home. I can tell you one thing, your judgement gets severely impaired, at least in my case.

I can tell you one thing, your judgement gets severely impaired, at least in my case.
Pain and fear only add to your confusion. Thanks for sharing.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom