I need Rhinopias tips!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marku

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello!

A couple of divers who have been to Lembeh and have seen the infamous Rhinopias told me that there is a very good chance of it being in any of the sites in my locale (Dumaguete, Central Philippines). I heard they're dreadfully difficult to spot, so I guess I need all the help I can get.

Hope to hear from anybody with eagle-eyes soon!

cheers,
marku

Come on! Don't tell me everyone on ScubaBoard is as clueless as I am about the Rhinopias!! :11:

Sorry old chap! I couldn't even tell you where Bisayas is... and I am an extremely over-educated individual.

wetrat

marku:
Hello!

A couple of divers who have been to Lembeh and have seen the infamous Rhinopias told me that there is a very good chance of it being in any of the sites in my locale (Dumaguete, Central Philippines). I heard they're dreadfully difficult to spot, so I guess I need all the help I can get.

cheers,
marku
Marku
Rhinopias Aphanes and Fondosa were regularly seen in Port Moresby especially at End Bommie and Quales Reef when I lived there. can dive with either loloata Resort or the Dive Centre both are equally good operators. Loloata is closer to the reefs and away from the city.

Also Seen on the reef Close to the Black Jack - a great WW Bomber dive (milne Bay)

Cheers
Wayan

Wayan:
Marku
Rhinopias Aphanes and Fondosa were regularly seen in Port Moresby especially at End Bommie and Quales Reef when I lived there. can dive with either loloata Resort or the Dive Centre both are equally good operators. Loloata is closer to the reefs and away from the city.

Also Seen on the reef Close to the Black Jack - a great WW Bomber dive (milne Bay)

Cheers
Wayan

Thanks Wayan. Any idea as to what kind of benthic features Rhinopias favor? And any behaviour of theirs that could help me spot one?

cheers,
marku

p.s. Wetrat, Bisayas is the group of islands in the Central Philippines, and it's actually spelled Visayas in English maps.

:D

marku:
Hello!

cheers,
marku
I'd have thought its a matter of keeping an eye out in those dark sand areas like dauin and the sea explorers place house reef. From memory we saw all sorts of muck critters there and I'd imagine rhinopias may well show up too.

good luck, i've been trying to spot one for years....

I would suggest going to Lembeh, Indo seems to have a lot more than PI

That didn't help did it?! :)

The next time someone tells you they've spotted one, ask exactly what kind of environment and depth. It may also be that a creature may behave slightly differently in your area and prefer a slightly different location than they would in Lembeh. Ultimately though, it may be that they don't like your area, Lembeh isn't special for no reason, the weirdos of the fish world just like it there! :)

Thanks everybody!!

Appreciate all the advice you gave. I'm still looking though. So far all I've turned up with is a pair of leaf fishes (the yelo-green morph), a devil stinger, and heaps of scorpionfishes (S.oxycephala & S.gibbosus). Oh, and a dark brown cockatoo waspy (Ablabys, i think). Will give you guys a heads-up when :)D , fingers x'd!) i spot a Rhinopias.

marku

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom