I NEED Your help! Can't decide!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WannaLaguna:
For me, I shoot just as much topside as I do underwater. It's a "nice to have" feature. As Steve said...for the experimental filmmaker.

I look at it as a "down the road" kinda situation. As technology advances so will our displays...but...then again...by the time that happens...how many generations old are our cameras??....ya see how they get us...career purchasers..

Dive Safe,

Jeff

Thanks,

My topside camera is a DVX100, so I hear ya. I am trying to make the decision as to which way to go HD. A HUGE part of me would love to go RED, but the practical side of me says to go with the HVX200 or the JVCHD200, or maybe wait to see the next crop of 1920x1080 progressives.

I truly wonder if I could throw enough light underwater to make it useful to go with one of these HD cameras.

You guys are some real pioneers. I'll keep shooting my miniDV and cropping to 16:9 for now. Or even 2.35:1 when I'm feeling frisky! :wink:

I really need to read through the rest of this thread, so I'm sure this has already been partially covered but, that being said, I would not go with any option that did not have MWB. Even if you plan to shoot macro 99% of the time with HID lights, you still are going to want to have MWB. You will (Dr. Bill can support this I think) be disappointed with your purchase if you do not have this necessity (not even going to waste anyones time calling it a feature)...

ScubaBob92651:
I really need to read through the rest of this thread, so I'm sure this has already been partially covered but, that being said, I would not go with any option that did not have MWB. Even if you plan to shoot macro 99% of the time with HID lights, you still are going to want to have MWB. You will (Dr. Bill can support this I think) be disappointed with your purchase if you do not have this necessity (not even going to waste anyones time calling it a feature)...

Thanks ScubaBob. Excuse me ignorance as I am a new video shooter but what other options are out there at the same price point and is this not something I could address in post?

:confused:

Dive Safe,

Jeff

WannaLaguna:
Thanks ScubaBob. Excuse me ignorance as I am a new video shooter but what other options are out there at the same price point and is this not something I could address in post?

:confused:

Dive Safe,

Jeff

I used to do a lot of color correction (CC) in Post. The initial reasons were that I didn't have the ability to MWB (on old Gates Baja housing for PC100), and then that I didn't MWB enough (with JVC HD10US in Gates housing). Now I find that using MWB more often I have far less work to do in post, and the results are much more accurate and stunning. I still find myself fixing some footage in post, but generally on clips for which I don't have a better substitute. The color palette of HD is dramatically different then DV (NTSC). While some camera's may be able to give you decent results with AWB, that task is not as easy as it used to be. The last two catalina videos I posted had no CC in post...

I'm obviously biased to the Gates housings, not because I have any financial interest in the company itself, but because I've used them and really think they are bullet proof. I think the basic Gates housing with flat port and MWB option can purchased for about the same as the EVO (at least according to a quick B&H compare). You won't have the 3.5" monitor back, but I actually prefer using the camera's flip out lcd with the Gates (more streamlined rig, less batteries to worry about - more accurate color representation.) All but one of the controls are very conveniently reached from the handles. The dial-set control can be a little more of a pain to use, mainly when switching modes of the dial (e.g. from exposure to focus).

Hope this helps some - good luck!!!

PerroneFord:
Thanks,

My topside camera is a DVX100, so I hear ya. I am trying to make the decision as to which way to go HD. A HUGE part of me would love to go RED, but the practical side of me says to go with the HVX200 or the JVCHD200, or maybe wait to see the next crop of 1920x1080 progressives.

I truly wonder if I could throw enough light underwater to make it useful to go with one of these HD cameras.

Wow, thats the first time I've heard Red considered for underwater use on these boards. A friend of mine bought one a month or so ago for topside use, but man, I could buy 5 HVX200's (or 19 HV20's) for what he paid. I'd be too worried about about it to enjoy the dive, unless I was getting paid good money for my videos. I'm strictly a hobbyist.

The HVX200 has very good low light capability (I have a friend with one of those as well). I'm sure you could throw enough light to use it. I'd still be too worried about flooding a $4000 camera though. Call me cheap......:wink:

I saw someone ask a while back on one of the DV forums about using RED underwater. Honestly, I am just hoping to snag one down the road for topside use. I couldn't justify a 4K camera underwater unless I was shooting feature films!

The HVX intrigues me for underwater even at 720p, but until those P2 cards come down in price, it's just not practical. I have a firestore for my DVX100, but that isn't gonna fly for shooting underwater. The JVC would need a very large housing. More than most would want to travel with.

I need to look at that HV20. Might be a good alternative.

Somebody posted that Gates was going to house the Red One.

But I wonder if that's true based on their tooling costs vs. the demand for it.

I think owners will likely have to go to that guy that builds the custom u/w stuff.

DaFireMedic:
Wow, thats the first time I've heard Red considered for underwater use on these boards.....

CamDiver over on wetpixel.com is in line for Red #954, which he plans to use underwater, and is currently working with a housing vendor to support his plan.

Vic

ScubaBob92651:
I used to do a lot of color correction (CC) in Post. The initial reasons were that I didn't have the ability to MWB (on old Gates Baja housing for PC100), and then that I didn't MWB enough (with JVC HD10US in Gates housing). Now I find that using MWB more often I have far less work to do in post, and the results are much more accurate and stunning. I still find myself fixing some footage in post, but generally on clips for which I don't have a better substitute. The color palette of HD is dramatically different then DV (NTSC). While some camera's may be able to give you decent results with AWB, that task is not as easy as it used to be. The last two catalina videos I posted had no CC in post...

I'm obviously biased to the Gates housings, not because I have any financial interest in the company itself, but because I've used them and really think they are bullet proof. I think the basic Gates housing with flat port and MWB option can purchased for about the same as the EVO (at least according to a quick B&H compare). You won't have the 3.5" monitor back, but I actually prefer using the camera's flip out lcd with the Gates (more streamlined rig, less batteries to worry about - more accurate color representation.) All but one of the controls are very conveniently reached from the handles. The dial-set control can be a little more of a pain to use, mainly when switching modes of the dial (e.g. from exposure to focus).

Hope this helps some - good luck!!!

Thanks ScubaBob!

After a TON of consideration, reviewing this entire thread 2-3 times and a couple sleepless nights I decided to still go the way of the HC7 (just picked it up yesterday) and the EVO housing. While reading through the HC7 manual I noticed the ability to create custom menus. One feature which I created was their "one push" White Balance evaluation. I use a WhiBal card (http://www.whibal.com) here on land with my D200 and LOVE the results. I have seen similar products for underwater usage. I'm wondering it that is a viable option with this "one push" feature...or just a BIG pain in the fins...I tested the feature on land last night and it does make a considerable improvement over the auto feature..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom