I NEED Your help! Can't decide!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WannaLaguna:
While reading through the HC7 manual I noticed the ability to create custom menus. One feature which I created was their "one push" White Balance evaluation. I use a WhiBal card (http://www.whibal.com) here on land with my D200 and LOVE the results. I have seen similar products for underwater usage. I'm wondering it that is a viable option with this "one push" feature...or just a BIG pain in the fins...

And how do you think you're going to touch the screen underwater when it's folded up against the camera inside the housing?

The back monitor's not a touchscreen...:D

WannaLaguna:
Thanks ScubaBob!

After a TON of consideration, reviewing this entire thread 2-3 times and a couple sleepless nights I decided to still go the way of the HC7 (just picked it up yesterday) and the EVO housing. While reading through the HC7 manual I noticed the ability to create custom menus. One feature which I created was their "one push" White Balance evaluation. I use a WhiBal card (http://www.whibal.com) here on land with my D200 and LOVE the results. I have seen similar products for underwater usage. I'm wondering it that is a viable option with this "one push" feature...or just a BIG pain in the fins...I tested the feature on land last night and it does make a considerable improvement over the auto feature..

Congrats on the new camcorder purchase, you should be happy with it. Even if you can't use the one touch white balance in the housing, you're no worse off than using the menu controls on the HV20, although I am figuring out ways to make it simpler inside the housing. Enjoy the camcorder.

WannaLaguna:
Now wouldn't that be cool!!!
It would actually...although I'd settle for HD.

btw, don't ever go anywhere that they're demo-ing the external HD monitor. As you will immediately know that you have to have one one and go through endless rationalizations about spending as much for one as you did for your entire housing...

DaFireMedic:
Congrats on the new camcorder purchase, you should be happy with it. Even if you can't use the one touch white balance in the housing, you're no worse off than using the menu controls on the HV20, although I am figuring out ways to make it simpler inside the housing. Enjoy the camcorder.

Thanks DaFire! I've been sitting here all weekend trying to figure out a way to make some sort of custom menu...and set WB to the camera roller.. The housing comes in on Monday.... I can't wait to leak test it and get this puppy in the water!!

I'll post my first shots!

Dive safe,

Jeff

sjspeck:
It would actually...although I'd settle for HD.

btw, don't ever go anywhere that they're demo-ing the external HD monitor. As you will immediately know that you have to have one one and go through endless rationalizations about spending as much for one as you did for your entire housing...

hehehe..Ummm... already saw it and am now doing the math as to how many peanut butter sandwiches I will have to eat to save the $$ to get one...but first...I will get a second HID light. We do sacrifice don't we....

dive safe,

Jeff

hello guys!
well, I think that the best choise is a electronic houssing for many reasons, controls, depth and security of the houssings, personally I have owned 3 top dawg houssings, with diferent sony camcorders and I never had a leak or condensation in them, I recently purchased a sony hdr-hc3 +wide angle and I putted in a Top Dawg houssing with a 2.5" monitor back and the mini set of lights, I do video at the cenotes and caves in the yucatan peninsula and I use a extra 75watt light with video diffusor on a dive rite cave ligth, and believe me the footage you get is amazing, and it is really simple and compact, for shure you dont have the same controls as in a ligth and motion dolphin houssing but if you're good with the camera thant won't be an issue anyways you dont need to rewind the tape underwater to see how was the shot if you know what I mean... I personally dislike mechanical houssings for the same reasons changin hands and also each control means an o-ring and each o-ring is a chance of leak so I really recommend the sony system with any electronic houssing, there's nothing better than shiny metal!!!!!

WannaLaguna:
Again Steve, Thanks VERY much for your detailed reply. Construction was (is) also a concern for me. The Poly housings don't seem as rugged as say the EVO. Your point about having the controls on your handles and not having to remove your hands is a BIG selling feature as well.

Hmmm... definitely like the EVO over the seatools..at least at first glance..

I've spent a good many hours (as my boss will tell you :eyebrow: ) on camcorderinfo.com and read everything I could on both cameras.

One thing I found interesting was you said you "would never shoot with lights? Why is that? The EVO kit I am looking at comes with a 10W HID lamp... is it a cost or light quality issue?

I shoot stills with a D200 and one thing I do use is MWB So I can definitely see that being a problem on the HC7.

thanks again,

Dive Safe,
Jeff

I'm mostly with Steve too. I have a IKElite housing for a still camera -- never agagin.
I just can't get with the manual program, and the construction just doesn't look that great in terms of strength.

Both my video housings have been Light & Motion and I'd buy them every time. Really nice construction, and all electronic controls.

Far better solution IMO.

Not tried the Amphibico ones though...

I hear you on the mechanical housings, but the electronic housings really lock you into Sony cameras. Certainly not my first choice.

Wow, manual housings taking a beating here.

Kind of like the PC vs. MAC debate. Each have their pluses and minuses. Each have their fans and detractors. To me, it's the end result that matters. I've seen good and bad video from each. My decision on manual vs. electronic had more to do with access to certain camcorder controls than anything else.

Curious to see how manual white balance on the Amphibico works. On the smaller cams it appears pushing the touch screen is the only way to do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom