I passed Fundies!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congratulations!

Now get out and do some fun diving ;-). I just got back from my first warm diving trip ever, really, and being post-Fundies made it so much more enjoyable. For me the pleasure came from just being stable in the water and having a semi-useful back kick, as well as actually knowing that the air in my tank and my buddy's tank would get us both to the surface even in the worst case scenario. All that freed up awareness to take in the amazing fish :)

This month, it's back to the quarry for more practice for me, though. Just wanted to put in a plug for some fun, non-practice diving to keep you motivated and see how it works in when there's lots else going on.

Congrats! :)

Congratulations!

kathydee, believe it or not the temps were warmer in Whittier, where we did our class dives, than they were where we live in the Aleutians. Brandon and I were overjoyed (I kid you not) to find that the water was 43F in Whittier! We were coming from 36F in Unalaska, where our top summer temps are only in the mid 40's.

Brrr! And I though we had a tough class in 53F water! Great Job :)!

I see what you mean about diving being more fun after the class and in that respect, yes it is because I'm more relaxed and confident about my (and my buddy's) skills and abilities and so more able to enjoy what I'm seeing and doing. Of course, we've only got about two or three feet of visibility right now so even the best dive feels like a lot of work rather than much fun! We took the class in part because we've got a tropical trip planned for October-November, and wanted to be able to maximize the fun factor and not worry so much about our capabilities. So yeah, you're right - diving is/will be more fun with these new and/or improved skills. And I agree, being able to be still, and back up, have to be some of the coolest things of all! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my u/w photography will improve along with all these other skills!

My tips for passing fundies:

• Practice hovering motionless while maintaining constant depth.
  • Bring a good dive buddy (thanks FP =p)
  • Bring good shore support. (thanks Wife for cooking and doing laundry for us!)
  • Don't trust the instructor while underwater. Devious, sneaky, conniving little git!
  • Thank the Wife. Lots. Because she = awesome.
And lastly - Multitask. No reason the after class beer / hot tub soak / skills practice can't be combined...

(I think that's my 'this probably looks as goofy as it feels' expression...)

So, some clarification here because there were a couple of questions about passing this course "via video." This wasn't any long-distance, never-dive-with-your-instructor, do-it-all-via-webcam kind of gig. My buddy and I spent four very long days and did six dives with Scott, our instructor. It was a lot of work, and a lot of learning. Those of you who've already taken the fundies level class know exactly what I'm talking about! Because we were the only two students, Scott had ample opportunity to interact with us both above and below water and evaluate both our diving skills and general knowledge. At the end, in Scott's judgment - with which I agreed - I could still improve on a few things like my back kick and overall trim. However, we live almost a thousand miles away and couldn't readily dive together on weekends, thus the use of video to review my progress over the subsequent weeks. He and I are both happy with where I'm at now, and though he's told me he's confident about passing me he's also coming here in a few weeks to do a last review, in person, before actually signing off on my certification. So, I've been told I've passed but I won't have the C-card in hand until after we dive together again in September.

5 days including all our classroom stuff =p The schedule was arduous, but well worth it.

I kind of miss getting up at 6:30am and not getting back to the rental house until 8:30pm, several days in a row. Was nice just being in the "diving zone" for a few days, and having our personal limits expanded every day with new challenges to meet.

Another thought: The conversations in the car on the drives to/from the dive site were priceless. Someone should record the team conversations from a Fundies weekend; it'd be an interesting metamorphosis...

-B

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom