I Passed OW, Thanks SB.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EvaL:
Congratulations! I'm glad you did so well.
I'd say it's up to you whether you want to go ahead with AOW now (I did it right away), based on your comfort level in the water and water temps/conditions in your area right now.
There are two schools of thought on that ... and they are based on your personal goals and on whether the instructor views AOW as an experience-based class or a skills-based class.

• If the former, then taking the class right after OW gives you a few more dives with an instructor under some different circumstances, and provides a broader context under which you can then go out and improve your skills through experience.
  • If the latter, then it's better to get some dives under your belt first, and get comfortable with the skills you were introduced to in OW so that you won't be struggling with them while trying to learn the new skills you will be introduced to in the AOW class.
Both have advantages and disavantages ... and which is "better" really depends on your learning goals, and whether you learn better in a class environment or by getting "hands-on" experience.

EvaL:
Most people taking GUE/DIR courses are DM and above,
That's definitely not true ... most people taking GUE/DIR classes are more interested in technical diving than in being a DM or instructor. Those are distinctly different growth paths.

EvaL:
so I wouldn't change the BCD just yet - I'd do more dives, for class or leisure, to see how it feels. And ask yourself: Does the BCD have any limitations for the type of dives you've done (if the answer is no, why switch?).
Again, it gets down to goals. If the diver knows he wants to go the DIR (or even strictly Hogarthian) route ... then the sooner you make the switch the better. Skill refinement becomes easier in gear you're familiar with, and it's not a good idea to switch to an unfamiliar rig shortly before taking a class like DIR-F.

EvaL:
I strongly recommend the Rescue course for any diver, whether or not they go on to GUE/DIR.
Agree ... I think Rescue is the most important class a diver will take, as it does more than just teach you the techniques for in-water rescue ... it also (and more importantly) helps you develop a mindset and approach to your diving that will help you avoid the common pitfalls that lead to a diving accident.

EvaL:
And do try the new BCD (whichever brand/model it is) before you buy.
That's always the best option ... if the option is available ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

MBH:
I'm aware that I am a VERY inexpierienced diver but I honestly do believe that DIR or GUE is the way to go. I'd rather fail a GUE F class than get passed by a recreational agency that "almost" never fails anybody.

Thanks in advance
Brent

Brent,

I tend to look at it like this: if the principles of DIR and GUE make sense to you, you might as well get some exposure to it sooner rather than later. Some of the things you might learn in other traditional diving courses might be contrary to what you might learn in a GUE/DIR type of a class so what would be the point?

Getting exposure to DIR diving can take many different shapes. Certainly, taking a class like fundies is one of the better ways. Getting familiar with the DIR divers in your area is another way.

Congrats on your certification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom