I really want to learn to scuba, but I smoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I know absolutely zilch about diving. I've always wanted to learn and now that I'm older (42) and can actually afford to travel I'm ready to pull the trigger and take classes.
I'm in good shape except for the smoking. I've been smoking since my teens and about a pack a day, sometimes more.
I do tend to get short winded pretty easily running but I think its part smoking and part I'm just not conditioned.
The type of diving I'm interested in is 30- 50 feet type dives, I think.
Since I can remember I've wanted to cage dive with Great Whites and have been looking into it, but it's pretty pricy. Been fascinated with sharks since I was a teen and went deep sea fishing with my dad. (I would always let my shark go) Thought I could start with something affordable like reef shark and move up from there. Also would love to just be able to scuba wherever I happened to be on vacation to see other beautiful sea life.
As a smoker is it possible to be able to make this happen?

Only a knowledgeable medical professional who has assessed you in person can tell you whether or not you are "fit" to dive. But, FWIW, just about every DM I've ever seen in the Red Sea is on two packs a day (Camels usually, no pun intended) so it's definitely not an absolute contraindication.

I've smoked like you since I was 17, I'm 41 now and been diving for 16 years, instructing for 12 years.

You'll be fine. Scuba when done right is about as physically demanding as a stroll to the corner shop. As long as you can pick up your gear (around 50 lbs) and carry it a couple of yards you'll be fine.

That all being said, demanding dives are just that so some of the dives you may want to do later on may be tricky as a smoker.

Go for it!

Only a knowledgeable medical professional who has assessed you in person can tell you whether or not you are "fit" to dive. But, FWIW, just about every DM I've ever seen in the Red Sea is on two packs a day (Camels usually, no pun intended) so it's definitely not an absolute contraindication.
That's because smoking is cleaner than breathing in Cairo, at least you have a filter :)

You'll be fine. Scuba when done right is about as physically demanding as a stroll to the corner shop. As long as you can pick up your gear (around 50 lbs) and carry it a couple of yards you'll be fine.
That's what I thought, as an avowed warm water rash vest diver, until after a dive at Silfra last month when I had to slog up a 400m icy path post-dive in a dry suit with all the trimmings (including 16Kg of lead). And I haven't smoked for 20 years now!

Smoking in its self is not a contradiction to diving. It can lead to other conditions that can be. As a general rule you do not have to be a great swimmer or a well conditioned athlete. That being said it is generally considered good to have good cardio conditioning and good general body conditioning.
Most recreational diving is relatively easy when diving. Entry and exits can be the most strenuous, shore or boat, currents and stress factors can also increase the difficulty.
Most boats frown on smoking on board.

I know absolutely zilch about diving. I've always wanted to learn and now that I'm older (42) and can actually afford to travel I'm ready to pull the trigger and take classes.
I'm in good shape except for the smoking. I've been smoking since my teens and about a pack a day, sometimes more.
I do tend to get short winded pretty easily running but I think its part smoking and part I'm just not conditioned.
The type of diving I'm interested in is 30- 50 feet type dives, I think.
Since I can remember I've wanted to cage dive with Great Whites and have been looking into it, but it's pretty pricy. Been fascinated with sharks since I was a teen and went deep sea fishing with my dad. (I would always let my shark go) Thought I could start with something affordable like reef shark and move up from there. Also would love to just be able to scuba wherever I happened to be on vacation to see other beautiful sea life.
As a smoker is it possible to be able to make this happen?

This is an extraordinary opportunity for you to stop smoking. Your whole life will thank you for this.

I was taught to dive whr I was in the Royal Navy back in the early 80s (recreational, not Navy Diving).
Our instructor was a long service PO Clearance Diver, he never had a cigarette out of his mouth, I swear, if he could have worked out a way to do it he would have smoked under water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom