I really want to learn to scuba, but I smoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quit smoking, I never smoked a single cancer stick in my life. I'm 73 and going diving today alone offshore. Not bragging just tired of listening of all the puffers giving you a reason to keep smoking. It took my wife being told by a doctor that she would die if she didn't quit smoking. She did it cold turkey way to late to not have lifelong problems but still alive.

The smoking itself should not prevent you r from diving although training organisations have different regulations on this. For example Padi need a medical certificate if you smoke and are over 45 years.
Don;t let smoking stop you. I know many divers that smoke. The sport is incredible.

110% do get a Diving Medicine Doc's opinion. Use the fact that you smoke as something you need to compensate for and make a point of doing something else that will help your cardiovascular fitness - something a bit fun or it will never last. BTW swimming can be a great motivator for cutting down or quitting smoking. Even if you cut down just a bit, when swimming laps you will notice a difference very fast.

Very true. And since we've heard this beginning from about 40+ years ago.

And it still hasn't sunk in?:wink:

It is really difficult to overcome a smoking addiction, I can sympathize. But given what everyone knows about smoking, it's unfortunate to me that people still do that to themselves. If you feel like you're getting bugged or picked on for smoking, good. You should thank everyone that does it.

Last edited:
If I walked up to a diver on the shore and told them to lose weight, it will be good for them, they would tell me (rightly) to mind my own damn business. Even though statistically it is HUGELY more likely to die diving from obesity related issues than smoking.

I don't think that's true, although certainly obesity has very serious health issues. And I believe that there are genetic factors in determining obesity likelihood, whereas I don't think anyone is genetically coded for smoking. Someone else's eating habits do not result in me consuming their food like second hand smoke.

You might think that non-smokers (or even worse, former smokers!) are being condescending and self-congratulatory when they cast aspersions on smokers, and in many cases you're right. For myself, I have no interest in hurting anyone's feelings and no illusions of superiority because I don't smoke. We're all just people and we all do stupid things. But the fact remains, it's a completely indefensible habit. There is nothing positive about it and it absolutely does pollute the air in the immediate vicinity. Whether you appreciate it or not, anyone who encourages you to quit is doing you a favor.

Edit: You said "Die diving", not just "die". You're probably right about that! Sorry. The rest of my smoking rant stands, though.

So if someone is grossly overweight, a total stranger, I should point that out to them?

And it still hasn't sunk in?

It is really difficult to overcome a smoking addiction, I can sympathize. But given what everyone knows about smoking, it's unfortunate to me that people still do that to themselves. If you feel like you're getting bugged or picked on for smoking, good. You should thank everyone that does it.

So we should be happy that people we do not know are giving us advice on how to live our lives? That would be like me approaching a obese person and telling them to step away from the McDonald's and then telling them how moronic they are for continuing to eat that when everyone knows it is terrible for you.

Doesn't seem very nice nor appropriate does it? Being "picked on" is never ok. I don't offer up advice to married couples that are clearly miserable as it would be unsolicited. The OP asked if he could dive as a smoker which is what should be answered.

So if someone is grossly overweight, a total stranger, I should point that out to them?

The OP asked about smoking and diving. Some advice was given, it would be better to not smoke, correct?

I don't care if other people smoke as long as I don't have to breathe their second hand smoke - I care even less if others are obese as it really has no impact on me (I myself was heavy at one point and have worked hard and changed my lifestyle to get fit as I saw too many people suffering later in life as a result of packing on pounds - if nothing else, it takes a toll on joints).

I would also never say anything to a stranger as it is their life they are managing (unless a smoker is smoking in a non-smoking area - otherwise I just avoid places with smokers). As others have said, smoking and diving are not mutually exclusive - get a physical just as non-smokers should and, if cleared, go ahead and dive.

As long as smokers are considerate to others, they can live their lives as they see fit (though likely shortened and of lower quality if they continue to smoke) - that's their decision to make knowing there are probable repercussions to any unhealthy lifestyle...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom