I really want to learn to scuba, but I smoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All the second hand smoke in this thread was starting to make me cough and make my clothes smell funny. Wait...that was the torches, pitchforks, and burning crosses...:angrymob:...crap...

One does have to wonder if "second hand smoke" results were any different if it was ^that^ smoke instead of tobacco smoke. Or smoke from the "hole in the roof" chimneys... Oh wait, back then we didn't live long enough to die of cancer, so that makes it OK then.

Yes it would be better but that is not really what the OP asked. He asked if he can still dive as a smoker. It is common knowledge that it is bad for you and is really just stating the obvious.

He didn't come here to be told to quit or to have others judge him and condemn him. He came here as someone new to diving who has had a lifelong dream to dive. I find it better to welcome new people rather than push them away by telling them what they should and should not be doing in a condescending manner. (not that you were condescending at all but we all know it is bad for you)

Just some food for thought on we approach people like myself who are new to diving.
Absolutely agree. Did anyone really think that the OP was NOT going to get quitting smoking advice???? Now-- lets step back to 2007 when I joined SB....."Can anyone advise me on where in the Caribbean I can find dive charters and countries where collecting live (sea)shells for my collection is legal and permitted?" Sure--every reply guided me to such places and none said "Gee, you shouldn't collect shells".....

I smoke(d) for 35 years and was smoking when i completed my OW dive some 10 years ago, when drugs & alcohol where also my addiction for as many years. Then diving became my new addiction, clean and smoke free for many years now, I have been blessed. Did smoking hamper me ? Nope. But OP enjoy and immerse yourself in a wonderful world - you won't regret it for a second

Watch the Penn and Teller Bulls**t episode on second hand smoking. Eye opening.
Try again - first off: you get your facts from comic magicians??? Secondly: they admitted they were wrong!:

Last edited:
Sorry...I call BS...certainly sounds like judging/condemnation to me as well as passive aggressiveness. The op asked a simple question in a green zone (probably based on a scuba instruction medical form) and got piled on and hopefully didn't leave for good. None of the "quasi-related," preachy posts brought any new info to light. It was used as a soapbox "for their own good." You're right it's an internet forum, but don't be hypocritical about it.
Says someone who is being hypocritical.
hyp·o·crit·i·cal
ˌhipəˈkridək(ə)l/
adjective
  1. behaving in a way that suggests one has higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case.
    "we don't go to church and we thought it would be hypocritical to have him christened" "says those who are giving good advice on stopping a life-shortening, body-damaging activity are being mean and vindictive."

I smoked on and off for about 25 years from the age of 13. At age 40 I quit for good. My health got better, my clothes, car, and house smell better.
I know the controversy about 2nd hand smoke. I just know if someone wants to train with me they will not smoke around me. The dive shop is a no smoking area. I can't stand the smell of it and it literally makes my eyes water, I start sneezing, and my throat closes up.
The boats I have been on have had smoking areas. Off the back and 5 feet under water is what they told those on the boat. The depth varied but none allowed it on the boat itself and I doubt the people on it would have tolerated it.
Potential divers may find that an instructor will not permit a smoker to smoke during or around classes. I've seen some actually walk up and tell people about it.
If I remember correctly GUE doesn't allow their instructors to smoke at all. Or certify divers who did. At least it used to be that way.
My dad died the day after Thanksgiving 2016. He smoked for as long as I can remember. He also coughed up junk every morning as long as I can remember. The last several years I could not go to his house because it stunk of smoke so bad and we would have to go out to spend time together. A few minutes in his place and I would feel like throwing my clothes away.
If you don't quit for yourself, think of those around you.

I can't stand the smell of it and it literally makes my eyes water, I start sneezing, and my throat closes up.

Interesting... I still like the smell of tobacco smoke -- well, certain blends and brands less than others -- but the ashtray smell... Especially when I'm on a bus and someone squeezes their cig dead, puts the roach in the pocket, and climbs onboard exhaling that last drag... eek. And I know I've done that myself once or twice back when.

To the OP: a 2-tank boat dive will last for 8 to lunch or in some cases 8 to 5. Can you survive that? -- something to keep in mind.

behaving in a way that suggests one has higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case.
"we don't go to church and we thought it would be hypocritical to have him christened" "says those who are giving good advice on stopping a life-shortening, body-damaging activity are being mean and vindictive."

Uh...thanks?? Kind of made my point for me considering the op didn't ask for your advise about smoking only if it was contraindicative to diving, which BTW it isn't...:confused:

Last edited:
Many, but not all, of the operators I use do not allow smoking. There are some that still allow smoking off the stern, or up with the captain, if he or she smokes. Many operators allow vaping, I can't stand the smell of most of the mixtures. A smoker shares it with everyone, an obese person keeps it to themself.

If I remember correctly GUE doesn't allow their instructors to smoke at all. Or certify divers who did. At least it used to be that way.

For students, you can be a former smoker but not a current one. "Non-smoker" is one of the prerequisites for enrollment in a class.

Back
Top Bottom