I think I have been "had" just a bit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it is 6351, dive it as long as the shop will fill it. Next time someone refuses to fill it, scrap it and eat the loss.

I have an '88 Luxfer tank (bought new) that is 6061 alloy. Turns out that Al 80s were changed to 6061 in Jan '88. There is no reason I should ever have a hassle with the tank and, so far, I haven't. When I do, I'll just dump the air, keep the valve, destroy the threads and scrap the tank. No big deal. I have had the tank for 20 years and that brings the cost down to about $8/yr. Who cares?

In your case, just write it off to education. Education is NEVER free and often painful!

Richard

To the OP: You might have been take a little but not that bad.

The one thing that gets me in all this is that the LDS is refusing to fill at tank because of rumors and misinformation. That leads me to ask a few question about the "life support equipment" and the "life saving training" from this shop. I would have a hard time buying a new tank form a shop that refused to fill my Catalina because of the allow. The new tank and my tank are the same allow. And my last question is when did shop owners become instant metallurgist to declare the the service live of a Al tank is 15 years.

To the OP: You might have been take a little but not that bad.

The one thing that gets me in all this is that the LDS is refusing to fill at tank because of rumors and misinformation. That leads me to ask a few question about the "life support equipment" and the "life saving training" from this shop. I would have a hard time buying a new tank form a shop that refused to fill my Catalina because of the allow. The new tank and my tank are the same allow. And my last question is when did shop owners become instant metallurgist to declare the the service live of a Al tank is 15 years.

Umm... What?

I fill my own tanks when diving air so I guess I can use it forever! :wink: Actually I'm thinking about getting rid of them next season just because they're old and nasty if anything. Or maybe I'll give them to my girlfriend, she's been annoying me lately. Muahahahaha

To:syntaxerrorsix the point was that,my old tank is made of the same allow and his new tank. I have a hard time paying $200 to a LDS for a new tank that is the same as my old tank. The policy of the store is that NO Al tank over 15 years is to be filled. The metallurgist part is because he has determined that the service life of a Al tank is 15 years.

To ScubainChicago I have turned off the gas hose I will not post on this anymore.

To:syntaxerrorsix the point was that,my old tank is made of the same allow and his new tank. I have a hard time paying $200 to a LDS for a new tank that is the same as my old tank. The policy of the store is that NO Al tank over 15 years is to be filled. The metallurgist part is because he has determined that the service life of a Al tank is 15 years.

To ScubainChicago I have turned off the gas hose I will not post on this anymore.

No, the policy of the store is verify that the 6351 in a assumed (because the owner hasn't stated) Luxfer or W/K tank does not have evidence of SLC. Catalina's never used 6351 that was susceptible to SLC and they have been using 6061 since '86

The service life of an AL tank is approximately 40 years unless condemned for several issue one of which is SLC that lot's of folks fail to look for when VIP'ing the bottles so as opposed to trusting the last monkey to VIP it they used their monkey to VIP it.

The dive shop inspected the bottle and filled it. They should have put a sticker on, that's the only fault I can find.

Everyone's an expert until they spend a few years actually working for a hydrostatic test facility and dealing with the issue. Until then it's just "defend my old crappy bottle." to death. Agreed nothing will be learned here. Everyone is already the expert. That's why we have these forums, to identify the those that already know it all :)

if a tank is more than ten yr old i scrap them(alum,) we dive alot and as cheep as they are we get our money worth so buy new and dive alot then you know what you have and save all the aggravation trying to save a penny

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom