i tried to fly out today and i ended up being bent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The doc is sure its dcs the chamber operators said my symptoms were evident of bubbles around the spine. 20 min after in the chamber my legs felt a lot better plus catscan showed normal ruled out stroke. So the first dive was close to deco my computer was still showing no deco, but not a deco 2nd dive was not close to deco we didnt stay long at 100. We did our safety stops and had no dsc symptoms the rest of the day. Not untle the next morning at 10k feet i started to feel the joint pain as well it wasn't fun but the doc said if i had not turned the plane I could have ended up parlized. He said they see guys that don't show up until the are draging a foot or can't urenate.

Given the nature of the hit, I'd be inclined to think it had more to do with a too-fast ascent rate than not waiting long enough to fly ... or perhaps a PFO.

Do you have the ability to download your computer profile?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I called the op to get my time i gave the Im not blaming the op it was my fault Im responsable for this Im not sure if that computer can be downloaded the computer went to phoenix with much bags.

I have seen folks say before that, if you get bent from flying after diving, you were bent before you got on the plane . . . and I suspect that was true here. It sounds like there was plenty of nitrogen loading on these two dives, possibly an inadequate surface interval, and possibly an aggressive ascent profile (Buhlmann-type, bend and mend). On the other hand, there may be other physical factors playing a role, like a PFO -- but something had to create the bubbles in the first place.

Rather than delaying flying further, you might look at strategies to reduce nitrogen loading and bubbling, like using Nitrox for these deep dives, and doing a less linear ascent.

When I have actually run the tables for my dives using the NOAA ascent to altitude after dive protocol, I found the 24 hour rule was overly conservative. I am not advocating ignoring it blindly, but I concluded that in a effort to make an easy to understand rule for non-table uses, they locked on to a handy number (24 hours) that covers almost everyone at the expense of precision. Like the others, I would look to the very short SI and other causes first.

Just got done with 2nd chamber dive ill post more about what they said they don't think it was pfo. I was riding the edge and the fast asent in the jet plane triggered it.

Given the nature of the hit, I'd be inclined to think it had more to do with a too-fast ascent rate than not waiting long enough to fly ... or perhaps a PFO.

Do you have the ability to download your computer profile?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Bob,
I don't think my ascent rate was too fast out of water I watched my rate on my computer as I controled my ascent by using cable attached to the wreck. I was diving on the Vandenberg one issue I remember was the group was moving kind of slow one guy had a camera he was taking pictures I stayed close to the dive master he was waiting more then once. When I get home Ill take a close look at the computer logs and post more, but you know I did a couple of searches here about flying after diving and found several posts how, "nothing happend to someone" diving then flying 12-18 hours later. Another issue was the doctor thinks my DCS was in the spine which could have been because I was sitting in the seat he said it's not that uncommone to have guys come in dragging a foot a few days later with tingling and numbness where they didn't think it was DSC. These guys that run the chamber know a lot about it I learn a lot from. I plan getting certified advanceds with nitrox so that should help plus taking more of a roll then just letting a dive master run the show if I don't want to push it I could have just told them I wanted to acsend early before my no decode got close to caution it didn't pass it.

Was there current on your dives? Did you ever get cold?

Back
Top Bottom