i tried to fly out today and i ended up being bent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think Grumpy is agreeing with you, Don.
Yup, we both came to the same conclusion based on different issues, as did others. Maybe we should stop beating up Uncle Ricky now....

Why would one take of from FLL while diving in Key West? There is an airport right there, no need to drive to FLL and check-in baggage. (Never heard of private unpressurized airplane needing to check-in baggage.)
Up to $200 difference in fares per person, with FLL usually being cheapest - sometimes MIA, and there is a scenic drive with interesting stops on the way down.

Sorry Rick but you are overlooking the fact that virtually all commercial flights in the US are in pressurized cabins that maintain pressure of 8,000 feet or better. So DAN's 18 hour recommendation is relevant.

You are overlooking that only legacy airlines are pressurized. Many regional aircraft are not.
the OP never answered my question if the cabin was pressurized. But he stated that at 10,000ft alt he started to have problems. Like Rick stated. FAA recognizes NOAA guidelines of 24 hours SI. At 10,000ft your body (vision) already will be affected, at FL180 (18,000ft) you will pass out within 1/2 hour in an unpressurized cabin that many regional airlines use. FAA recommends that pilots go on O2 as low as 8,000ft especially when night flying. They are required to go on O2 when at 14,500 more than 1/2 hour. Passengers are not required to do so since their responses are not relevant to the safety of the aircraft.

You are overlooking that only legacy airlines are pressurized. Many regional aircraft are not.
the OP never answered my question if the cabin was pressurized. But he stated that at 10,000ft alt he started to have problems. Like Rick stated. FAA recognizes NOAA guidelines of 24 hours SI. At 10,000ft your body (vision) already will be affected, at 18,000ft you will pass out within 1/2 hour in an unpressurized cabin that many regional airlines use. FAA recommends that pilots go on O2 as low as 8,000ft especially when night flying. They are required to go on O2 when at 14,500 more than 1/2 hour. Passengers are not required to do so since their responses are not relevant to the safety of the aircraft.

Please point me to a sampling of these unpressurized regional aircraft you are referring to in use in CONUS. Your statement does not square with my experience, but I am will to be corrected if you have the facts to back it up.

CONUS, a technical term used by the U.S. Department of Defense and General Services Administration, has been defined both as the continental United States, and as the 48 contiguous states.
I don't know of any US airlines with unpressurized cabins in recent decades, certainly not any that would take passengers to 10K.

Please point me to a sampling of these unpressurized regional aircraft you are referring to in use in CONUS. Your statement does not square with my experience, but I am will to be corrected if you have the facts to back it up.

Twin Otter comes to mind without any research.

Twin Otter comes to mind without any research.
Do you mean the de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter? Do you know of any US airline that flies passengers to 10,000 feet unpressurized - in it, or otherwise?

Do you mean the de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter? Do you know of any US airline that flies passengers to 10,000 feet unpressurized - in it, or otherwise?

Yes. It is an aircraft used by US regional airlines.

Yes. It is an aircraft used by US regional airlines.
Do you know of any US airline that flies passengers to 10,000 feet unpressurized - in it, or otherwise?

Do you know of any US airline that flies passengers to 10,000 feet unpressurized - in it, or otherwise?

I did answer yes. No need to repost your question.
DC-6 is another one.
And, YES they both fly passengers on regional airlines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom