i tried to fly out today and i ended up being bent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Airline I was taking was US AIRWAYS out of FLL airport it takes off every morning to Phoenix at around 7:10-7:20. I don't take any medication except over the counter stuff for the usual stuff heart burn once in awhile or headache. I was 18 hours out of the water, and I was dehydrated both days. I'm about 40 lbs over weight like most American men at be 42 years old. My body just loved that nitrogen ill just have to extra careful in the future. The HBOT operators said 1/2 the guys they see are using nitrox, and a lot of them have no idea why they got bent they followed all the rules. I just think it's good to talk more about DCS and why not take an extra day of sight seeing. Make sure you hydrate and not when you are heading out on the boat. Dan said you should have to pee when you come up from each dive if you don't you are not hydrated enough the doctor said that alone is a big factor.

Ok PRL is not naming any airlines, but Kell was on US Air and I presume pressurized. Thanks.
Dan said you should have to pee when you come up from each dive if you don't you are not hydrated enough the doctor said that alone is a big factor.
:laughing: Every safety stop, yes! I've wondered if ascent caused me to need to do, or if I just got in the habit? Hope you are recovering well, Kell.

You are overlooking that only legacy airlines are pressurized. Many regional aircraft are not.
the OP never answered my question if the cabin was pressurized. But he stated that at 10,000ft alt he started to have problems. Like Rick stated. FAA recognizes NOAA guidelines of 24 hours SI. At 10,000ft your body (vision) already will be affected, at FL180 (18,000ft) you will pass out within 1/2 hour in an unpressurized cabin that many regional airlines use. FAA recommends that pilots go on O2 as low as 8,000ft especially when night flying. They are required to go on O2 when at 14,500 more than 1/2 hour. Passengers are not required to do so since their responses are not relevant to the safety of the aircraft.
I was assuming he was at 10k just by the time and where he started to throttle back some. The helicopter pilot who air lifted me said those airlines like to get up fast it saves them fuel getting into the jet stream.

I did answer yes. No need to repost your question.
DC-6 is another one.
And, YES they both fly passengers on regional airlines.

The DC-6 was last produced in 1958, there are <50 still functional of the 700+ built, most overseas. None I could find in CONUS passenger service, only a few used for very small freight operations.

I don't think so. He said "I had all my gear in my checked bags," so I think there was an airline involved. Besides, from Florida to Arizona, who would want to fly a private plane?
Oh, I missed that... and glommed onto the "I turned the plane around"...
Bad assumption on my part, and further research into the US Air FLL-PHX equipment indicates pressurized aircraft, so the mishap diver was indeed within DAN guidance, and TS&M's feeling that bubbles were already there before takeoff is my feeling as well.
:)
Rick

I was assuming he was at 10k just by the time and where he started to throttle back some. The helicopter pilot who air lifted me said those airlines like to get up fast it saves them fuel getting into the jet stream.

US Airways operates mostly Airbus (I think)

Glad you are getting better. And thanx for the additional info.

Ok PRL is not naming any airlines

For you Don.
Check out some Regional airlines that fly into the subsidized airfields out west.
And you will even see single engines flying passangers.

Airlines that operate Twin Otters in the US

Air Illinois
Air Serv International
Air Wisconsin
Allegheny Commuter
Continental Express
Crown Airways
Golden West Airlines
Grand Canyon Airlines
NewAir
Ozark Airlines
Pilgrim Airlines
Rocky Mountain Airways
Scenic Airlines

Airlines that operate DC-6 in US

American Airlines
United Air Lines
Delta Air Lines
Braniff International Airways
National Airlines
Northern Air Cargo
Western Airlines
Pan American World Airways
Northwest Orient Airlines
Northeast Airlines
Eastern Air Lines
Pan American-Grace Airways
Alaska Airlines
Continental Airlines
Pacific Southwest Airlines
Reeve Aleutian Airways
Trans Caribbean Airways
Flying Tiger Line
Mackey Airlines
Everts Air Fuel
Everts Air Cargo
Zantop International Airlines

Do you mean the de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter? Do you know of any US airline that flies passengers to 10,000 feet unpressurized - in it, or otherwise?

He means this one - "your typical unpressurized regional aircraft":D
WestCoastAirFloatplane.jpg
At least this one is not an antique like the DC-6. Its actually a really neat plane for specific purposes including flights into the bush. Just not your typical ride out of FLL....

We do not know the plan for that dive
Yes, that's why I was careful to qualify my statement with "seems," but perhaps "perhaps" would have been more apt.

but the cheapest DAN Dive Insurance plan has covered limited to "Planned Maximum Depth" of 130 ft, so as long as you planned no deeper - if you got caught in a down current, it should still be covered.
Thanks, that is clear enough--I could have easily satisfied my curiosity with a little bit of reading.

The cheapest plan is still a dog tho, when for $10 more one can get so much more - including Extra Transportation & Accommodation expenses which could have helped in this case? I hate that DAN keeps that plan and once had the opportunity to speak with Dan Orr, the president of DAN, on another matter - and asked why they did keep it? His reply was that members said they wanted it. :idk: Ok, well, it is a membership organization.
My first instinct is to look for how the insurance commpany is trying to hoodwink its unwitting customers, but if you did all your dives in 30 feet of water, say, it's easy to see how you might want a plan that better reflected your actual risk and saved you $10.

I did answer yes. No need to repost your question.
DC-6 is another one.
And, YES they both fly passengers on regional airlines.
But you still have not said if they take passengers to 10,000 feet in these unpressurized planes. The question remains: When airlines in the U.S. use unpressurized planes, at what altitude do they fly?

I've been in some puddle-jumpers which I imagine are not pressurized, since I don't see compartments for oxygen masks, but we seem to be at relatively low altitudes.

The DC-6 was last produced in 1958, there are <50 still functional of the 700+ built, most overseas. None I could find in CONUS passenger service, only a few used for very small freight operations.

Yeah, DC 6 is mostly gone. I think there are 2 still operating for a regional. 1900s are still very popular, but they are pressurized. Twin Otters are not pressurized, and still going strong

Back
Top Bottom