I Use no air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To answer any questions people may be having....

I am 5'8 120 pounds.
The tank was aluminum.
All the figures I posted earlier are accurate.

I am sorry if there was any confusion.:confused:

No confusion, just a lot of mumbling about how you could possibly be wrong.

We're jealous, that's all :p

Even scootering I'm rarely below 0.55CFM/atm in cold water. In warm water kicking I'm rarely below 0.45CFM/atm.

Must be nice, enjoy it.

How did you determine your average depth?

Thats my only question. I have had dives of ridiculously low SAC's as well, some in the high .2x's, most are in the high .3x's and never more than .4x's... The math to figure out average depth is next to impossible for the average dive most people do... Here's an example of why: On my average guided dive with certified divers along the wall, I'll take them to about 70 feet for about 20-25 minutes, air consumption permitting, then ascend to the top of the wall, usually around 30 feet, for the remainder of the dive, we get back to the boat, hang out under the boat, 750 psi, ascend, safety stop, back on the boat... Now, casually, you may say thats easy to calculate the average depth, but lets look at the reality of it. After its all said and done, our dive computer says 60 minutes. We easily say, well, ok, we had a max depth of 70 feet, we did that for half a dive, then followed the top of the wall, 30 feet for half a dive - 70+30 = 100, divide by 2 for average, we say 50 feet. Its not that easy though. It was really 25 minutes at a max of 70 feet, that was really spent somewhere between 60 and 70 feet, then it was 32 minutes at 30 feet, which was really spent somewhere between 20 and 30 feet, then it was 3 minutes at a safety stop... Boy the math just got way harder. Weighted average, geez... (70x25 + 30x32 + 15x3) / 60 Now, our average depth is 45.9 feet. Not a huge difference, but, lets average using 65 feet as our average deep part and 25 feet as our average shallow depth. Save all the math, its a little deeper than 41 feet. Now, lets input my average true SAC (as computed by my dive computer) and say it calculated it using my 41 foot average depth. Simply changing the way I found the average depth, it could mean I artificially changed my SAC to a much lower .34..

It's difficult to look back and do it in retrospect. It's not difficult if you do it during the dive.

Also, some units will display average depth, and most give you access to the data from which you can compute it even if it doesn't tell you.

How did you determine your average depth?
One other way of artificially changing what your SAC rate appears is by having either a tank or SPG off a little. We fill all of our tanks to 3000 psi, give or take. Every once in a while, after its cool, some end up close to 3200 psi. Also, I've seen SPG's vary a few hundred psi one direction or the other and nothing

Your tanks cool to a higher pressure than they were filled? Awesome. :p

In any case, yes, there are a number of things which can skew the numbers one way or another. The moral of that story is: track your air consumption across a wide range of dives, and don't base a gas plan on any single datapoint (unless maybe it's your worst showing, in which case that would be a conservative approach).

Your tanks cool to a higher pressure than they were filled? Awesome. :p

wow, guess I really screwed that sentence up... :)

we aim to fill all of our tanks to 3000, once cool... usually means somewhere around 3250-3300 warm, but sometimes when they cool off, they don't drop a whole lot (maybe the compressor is running cooler for some reason on certain fills, who knows)...

anyways, you knew what I meant!!!

Last year in Micronesia. The DM on the Aggressor thought for sure my dive computer was shot since I was coming up with too much air and still had 40+ safe minutes. Was telling me I couldn't dive with it cause it was broken. Next day me and my husband switched (as we dive the same profiles) and I still came up with over a half tank of air. and 45 safe minutes. Was enough to shut them up and let me dive.

I ONLY mention this to brag. :D

But I still have no idea why I use so little air.

Any ideas??

Work out your SAC rate and post it. It's the only way to determine how good or bad your air consumption rate is.

lucky dog.. you must be really comfortable underwater.. the more uncomfortable i am the more i use up

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom