I’ve found a wreck and I need advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyway OP could provide pics?

dont forget CPT. no location no pics.
People that are hunters for real can find the location from looking the pic. especially if is above water

If what you are saying is for real, you have now advertised yourself on the one of the most widely read BB in the World. So now, when anything begins to turn up, SB will be served with a warrant and you will be found out.

You are either a fool or a troll. But it is an entertaining thing to consider. In fact, many of us scuba divers have sometime daydreamed a similar scenario. :)

I am a yacht captain / scuba diver. During a dive in a remote area of the Caribbean I came across a wreck. Strewn across the sea bed are ivory tusks. After local discrete enquires I found that the wreck is unknown but Im guessing that it must have been a slave ship 1700/1800. There are a considerable number of ivory tusks that have been underwater for a long time. If I declare the wreck, even after a legal battle which I cant afford, I will get almost nothing. So my dilemma is, and Im hoping somebody out there has some serious advice: What is my best course of action to make some real money out of it?
I understand your skepticism. I guess I would be suspicious of a treasure map also. If I can add a little background perhaps it will help. I am 68 years old and coming to the end of my diving / sailing career. I sail and live alone on a 34’ sailboat. Last year I was casually diving, alone, searching for lobster at the edge of the reef at about 40ft. Southern Caribbean. The visibility was good about 60’ - 80’. I looked out towards the empty sand and a mound caught my eye. I thought it was a coral outcrop and worth inspecting. On closer inspection it wasn’t coral at all but a mound of ivory tusks. I tried to part them and managed to pry one off but I could only lift one end. They were not encrusted or fused together just covered with algae which rubbed off easily. I didn’t find any boat remains but then I didn’t spend that much time searching. They could be there. I’m not a treasure hunter or a wreck diver. I wouldn’t know what to look for. But there were more mounds and loose tusks as well. Each one as big as me, I’m guessing at a hundred and I’m guessing at the weight as I couldn’t lift it. I did a bit of research and slave ships in that area did indeed carry ivory as well as slaves. The only wreck I have been able to possible associate with this is the report I found of a slave ship that went down some fifty miles from my position but was never located and it was carrying slaves and Ivory. I was hoping that by posting here on a treasure salvers site I would get some real advice but it seems I will have to go the legal route and be at the mercy of lawyers and government, which at my age is not a profitable prospect. Thank you all for your time.

I understand your skepticism. I guess I would be suspicious of a treasure map also.

If I can add a little background perhaps it will help.
I am 68 years old and coming to the end of my diving / sailing career. I sail and live alone on a 34’ sailboat. Last year I was casually diving, alone, searching for lobster at the edge of the reef at about 40ft.
Southern Caribbean.

The visibility was good about 60’ - 80’. I looked out towards the empty sand and a mound caught my eye. I thought it was a coral outcrop and worth inspecting.

On closer inspection it wasn’t coral at all but a mound of ivory tusks. I tried to part them and managed to pry one off but I could only lift one end. They were not encrusted or fused together just covered with algae which rubbed off easily. I didn’t find any boat remains but then I didn’t spend that much time searching. They could be there. I’m not a treasure hunter or a wreck diver. I wouldn’t know what to look for. But there were more mounds and loose tusks as well. Each one as big as me, I’m guessing at a hundred and I’m guessing at the weight as I couldn’t lift it.

I did a bit of research and slave ships in that area did indeed carry ivory as well as slaves. The only wreck I have been able to possible associate with this is the report I found of a slave ship that went down some fifty miles from my position but was never located and it was carrying slaves and Ivory.

I was hoping that by posting here on a treasure salvers site I would get some real advice but it seems I will have to go the legal route and be at the mercy of lawyers and government, which at my age is not a profitable prospect.
Thank you all for your time.
Hey Capt George, I saw your msg years ago. Wondering if you made your move.

HTH does ivory survive being in the ocean that long?

Dont waste yourself. It's rubbish.

The OP hasn’t logged on for a dozen years, folks.

If you have a reasonable moral compass, you should already know what you should do. The rest is a matter of contacting the proper individuals to get the job done.

Back
Top Bottom