I Want A Bomb Proof Cold Water Reg!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I ended up getting Poseidon reg after all. It's a solid heavy weight reg for sure and it has worked really nice in the Canadian Great Lakes and Georgian Bay waters that I dive (worked well in Cozumel as well as Vancouver Island BC too). Only issue I might have with them is that their o-rings are not standard size and the 2nd stage cover on the octo was easy to knock off. Replacements for both were not cheap.

23 years ago I had a full freeze-up of a Sherwood Oasis at 165 in Lake Crescent, WA that scared the crap out of me. My buddy on that dive had a Poseidon Odin and had no issues at the same depth. The whole incident is probably worth another thread in the "close calls" forum.

Bottom line is that as a result of that incident I immediately ditched the Oasis and purchased an Apeks ATX-200 because the shop (Underwater Sports) that I was teaching from insisted that instructors used gear that was sold by the shop. Otherwise, I would have probably bought the Odin. It was a huge and painfull investment on my current salary..... but what a performer and and am still diving that exact same reg today......including repeat dives to Lake Crescent to the same depth with no issues. What I really like about the Apeks was the ability to "detune" it on the fly so it won't freeflow when I hit the surface......but will also "Feed me Seymour" at depth.

PS.... As a primarily solo diver, for my backmounted 19cf pony I use a Mares Abyss Navy II.

My Great Lakes and Ice Diving regs;

SP MK17/G250v
SP 156 seconds
Poseidon XStream
HOG D2/Classic
Deep6 Signature
Argonaut Kraken
USD PRAM
Sherwood SR2 firsts

SP MK2/156 on a pony.

I have a DR RG3-ICE for deco...

I do have a Mares Abyss I am evaluating...

The new SP MK19, Atomic M1 are top choices for the conditions you reference. I know people who use them in technical diving in your area including ice diving as well as in the great lakes. No issues with them at all. I have been checking with my friends. The SP MK19 is much newer model however. The M1 has been around for many years. My friends in the great lakes also use the SP MK25 EVO/S600 without issues.

The MK19 (pre evo) has been around for many years just not world wide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom