I want a cool BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kpauley once bubbled...
It's one of the FORBIDDEN TOPICS of this board. You are also not allowed to dicuss Pony bottles, computers, split fins, pink wetsuits.

If the DIR/Taliban found out we are talking about this we'll all be in trouble.

Personally I would like to find a nice forum to discuss thinks like BC's, computers and other diving topics in a pleasant atmosphere. If anyone knows of a board like that PM me (don't post or THEY might follow us there!!)

:wink:

This has to be the most mean-spirited post, totally unprovoked by anything that preceded it, that I've seen in a while.

It is perfectly reasonable for someone who has never heard of DIR, and who has never seen or heard of a BP/wing, to look at the HUB and recognize it as a piece of gadget-laden equipment and to have well-founded concerns about it's reliability and ease of management [both by the diver wearing it and by his buddy] if the need arises and things are going less than perfectly. There are just an awful lot of things that can go wrong there, and it sure looks like it's not as fast or easy for a diver wearing one to help his buddy if the buddy needs it.

Nothing like a backplate and wings to get the questions going on a diveboat.

As they say in the Hummer ad, "dress a little metal" :)

Plus they work really well.

They are also prefectly adaptable to travel - depending on your weighting requirements, investigate an aluminum backplate.

If you don't care for a backplate, look at back-inflation BCs. Seaquest Balance or Black Diamond may suit your needs.

Just my opinion, but I L O V E my SeaQuest Balance BC. Comfortable like an old slipper. Great lift. Plenty O' D rings. Pull down pocket on one side. Does what its supposed to do.

Nothing like a backplate and wings to get the questions going on a diveboat.

And if they hassle you about the color of your BP/Wing being a boring black, you can always say you're the freakin' Scuba Ninja (TM), and everyone knows that ninja's are cool.

It doesn't get any cooler than THAT!

Uncle Pug wrote...

James it is perfectly acceptable for anti-DIR folk to lash out like this.
Given that "DIR Nazi" references have been excised by moderators in the past, why is that, Pug?

metridium once bubbled...
"DIR Nazi" references have been excised by moderators in the past, why is that, Pug?
I guess some folks don't want to offend the Nazi's.

I hope you read the extreme irony in my post(s) for what it is.

Wrongkey is new to the board so was surprised by the uncalled for attack. We who have been here for a while are used to it.

My recommendation is the Zeagle Ranger. It maybe more than you need, but...

If you want something "cool" it's black and looks tekie.

Some of the benifits are that it packs up fairly small, low drag, intergrated weight (large enough pockets to use lead provided at a resort) and it's bomb proof.

I have a friend that uses the Zeagle Escape, a great little BC made for travel yet still has alot of the features of a more robust BC... Plus it's Black and looks cool

My suggestion when it comes to a BC is to focus on functionality and reliability and get a cool hat and sunglasses to put on when you make it safely back onto the boat.

Besides, to be really cool you need a pair of turtle fins with the cool turtle logo!:D

Mike

JamesK once bubbled...
Great, so now DIR divers are not only a cult, they are likened to a terrorist government who condons the murder of those who do not agree with them, the raping of women as a form of punishment for "disrespect", the stoning of women who dishonor their family by being raped, the beating of women who do not cover their face, and the whipping of men who shave. Intelligent response.

Yes, I do agree. The similarities are many. :D

Kpauley wrote:
Personally I would like to find a nice forum to discuss thinks like BC's, computers and other diving topics in a pleasant atmosphere. If anyone knows of a board like that PM me (don't post or THEY might follow us there!!)

Its too late, the roaches have infected cyberspace. All we can do now is learn to live with them, and call the exterminator when
they get too crazy. :warhammer

Now, I would agree that if we all limited ourselves to discussing the pros and cons all gear and techniques have, we just may be able to get along.

Save the: Is this DIR? .... Me Good - You Bad ...... How can I join DIR? etc, etc, etc, for that well deserved DIR forum you have rightfully eaned. You guys deserve a "free" one! :D

Calling people 'roaches' and comparing them to despicable types such as the Taliban are real examples of class. BTW, putting a smiley icon next to an insult doesn't diminish the insult.

I noticed you failed to heed your own advice and your post did not contain anything informative concerning the equipment issue, just a weak jab at DIR proponents. It's curious that the only ones referring to DIR in this thread are the non-DIR types.

And if you knew anything about DIR, you'd know it's a diving philosophy, not an organization. Thus, one can't 'join' DIR.

And lastly, there's no need for a separate DIR forum, this one is serving quite well. The non-DIR poster was the one who was looking for an alternative place to post. Hope he finds one.

Back
Top Bottom