I want to learn how to scuba dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am interested in scuba diving. I have never done it before, but I do have a dry and a wet suit, which I use for snorkeling. I live in the Redcar area and want to know if there are any good clubs there that I could join and start to learn. Can anyone tell me roughly how much it will cost to start learning, and how much the right equipment will cost me.

Just kidding! Most of us get hooked pretty hard by the scuba bug and indulge our hobby to the fullest extent of our wallets (maybe a little more sometimes). That said, it's a great hobby and one that you are continually learning and growing in. Which really appeals to me.

Your best bet would be to look in the Yellow Pages and find a Dive Shop that offers lessons. They usually run from $150 to $400 and offer a wide range of lesson material. I got certified while in the Navy in the late 70's then was out of it until last year and re-certified with SSI. Those class cost $250 and included 8 4-hour classes that combined classroom and pool work. The certification dives at a open water location and the necessary rental equipment to get that done. The students were responsible for supplying their own mask, fins and snorkel.

The rest of the equipment can wait for a bit until you've had a chance to sort out whether or not you'll stay with it and continue. Investigate and ask lots of questions here and around before you sink money into something that may or may not work the best for you (I made that same mistake).

Good luck and welcome to the boards.:)

Welcome friend.

Pick your instructor carefully. The agencies are basically the same, but there are wide varieties in instructors. I am an instructor with the biggest agency, but honestly I see people from all agencies regularly and there is little difference I notice except from those instructors that take the extra time to ensure their students are competent and comfortable in the water.

This is not to scare you, but you often get what you pay for here. Many places offer cheap prices to get people signed up but then don't spend the right time in the most important areas to help you learn the right way.

I recommend that you find out about the instructors personal diving interests. Does he/she only teach or do a lot of personal divign as well. If they only teach, go somewhere else. Instructors that are comitted to diving spend time honing, increasing and bettering their skills, they don't sit idle and hang out in the pool or shallow water all day

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom