I Want To Pursue a Career In Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

with respect to commercial diving and recreational diving - the two are as different as water and llamas. Also with commercial diving it's usually a welder who becomes a commercial diver, not the other way around.

It is possible to earn a reasonably good living as a dive instructor, but you'll never be rich. If you want a career from full time instruction you need to head for Course Director or equivalent - some dive shop owners are very successful; most are not.

I'm already here doing it - so as always feel free to PM me if you want advice - but research carefully before you make your decision.

Happy diving,

C.

I want to start by saying that I had this same conversation a few months ago, and I know it can be frusterating to hear everyone discouraging entering the dive industry. I feel exactly the opposite. I recentely quit a good job working in Illinois to move to Ft. Lauderdale Florida for a few months and become an instructor. I agree with you 100 percent that this industry is what you make of it. There is no room for laziness and you have to be willing to work hard. I came to Pro Dive about 2 months ago and I passed the instructor exams about two weeks ago with flying coulors. The training I have gotten has been from some of the best instructors I've ever met. Some of them are known all over the world. I feel very confident and am excited to start teaching. I recommend you do get into professional diving. The industry is full of amazing people and being able to teach someone about one of your passions is a very rewarding feeling. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about Instructor Development Centers, Pro Dive, or anything else you may be wondering. I would be more than happy to share with you how my experience is going. You can email me any time at matt9122@hotmail.com
Good luck in anything you decide to do, and I hope to hear from you soon.

I don't think that Matt83 was aiming specifically at me in that post but I would like to point out that I am not discouraging people from entering the dive industry - I'm just saying to those who might be contemplating it to check carefully that it's what you want to do.

And Matt is spot on - life like this is what you make it and you will work hard...

But look at what you get to do! :)

Safe diving,

C.

Crowley,

I think Matt's comments are more aimed at the entire first page more so than just you.

It's going to take a passion to do well in any profession. People who just skim by usually end up failing at what ever it is they try to do. It's that way in any profession. Passion gives you drive and motivation which in turn helps you do the things you need to do to be better in your profession.

In diving it wont be just about being a good instructor (example) it will be about what you do to go above and beyond that will make your career successful!

Crowley,

I think Matt's comments are more aimed at the entire first page more so than just you.

It's going to take a passion to do well in any profession. People who just skim by usually end up failing at what ever it is they try to do. It's that way in any profession. Passion gives you drive and motivation which in turn helps you do the things you need to do to be better in your profession.

In diving it wont be just about being a good instructor (example) it will be about what you do to go above and beyond that will make your career successful!

I agree 100% :D

And this is a job that requires passion. Are you going to be able to afford an apartment by yourself in Florida? Well I don't honestly know but based on my own experience I would suggest that no, as a recreational scuba instructor, it's unlikely. There's a fair bit of money to be made in commercial diving - but that's a whole different ball game.

As I always say - this is not a life for everybody. Most instructors teach for a couple of years and then either run out of money or become jaded after diving or teaching every day for months on end - i.e. 'burned out'.

You can make a successful living and eventually career out of this business, I know Course Directors who are doing very well indeed, thank you very much! :)

Good luck to you anyhow - and if you need some advice with repect to your career change feel free to PM. I did it!

Cheers

C.

You should check out Texas A & M Galveston. It is part of the Texas A & M but because of its courses must be located away from the main campus in Bryan/College Station. Small, well funded school with the ability to go into many fields and get your PHD. It is supposed to be one of the best in the world at what they do.

Back
Top Bottom