I Was Electrocuted by a Fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dash_Riprock

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My buddy Bill and I were out at Plum Cove yesterday morning (10-11-03). On the way back in from a rather respectable lobster hunt, I spied a very large round cream colored ray in the sand that I figured must be one of those torpedo rays I’ve heard about. Lying there motionless on the sand, I’d say it measured approximately 3 feet around and 5 or 6 feet long. I got Billy’s attention and we closed in to check this guy out.

Apparently, Billy had never been given the lowdown on the novelty of the big fish. When I saw him pull out his tickle stick and start poking at the ray I knew there’d be trouble. Mr. Big Electric Ray Got PISSED. He came up out of the sand fast, flapping his giant 100-pound or so body straight for Billy’s head. All I could see were arms, legs and bubbles. And, I swear I could hear Billy scream “Oh S%^&!” Then, this monster takes a right turn and he’s heading straight for me - the innocent by-stander - right for my head. I rose my right hand and to push the ray away, and Gazzing! It really was like grabbing onto a live wire. I received a full-fledged electrical shock from my hand all the way up through my shoulder. It was a real wake up call. As the ray swam off Billy and I regained our composure and finished out the dive.

We agreed that the shocks felt like a rapid succession of jolts, rather than a strong zap or buzz type of shock. It was similar to the jolt you get when touching a spark plug wire.

Bottom line is that the Atlantic Torpedo Ray looks docile and one would assume slow and lumbering. Both these assumptions would be very wrong. When provoked they are extremely fast and aggressive…they will go on the attack. So keep a safe distance and don’t poke at the rays…Al

Of course the true lesson is to leave nature alone. Poking the ray with a tickle stick! Why? What did the ray do to him to deserve to be disturbed and poked?

Personally, I try to look, but not touch any marine life. Torpedo Rays are not the only fish in the sea that can hurt you and fight back. There are several that have venomous spines, or electric shock, or just plain sharp teeth. There is even one species of octopus that has venom. (Blue Ringed Octopus if I remember right).

Unfortunately, you were also zapped. That is another lesson learned. When your buddy does something dumb, you too may become involved in the fall out and suffer the consequences. Fortunately, this time, the consequences were not too serious.

Does the phrase "What were you thinking?" come to mind? For God sakes would you people stop messing with the marine life. Why is it that people wouldn't think of messing with some creature they came across in the woods while on a camping trip but have no problem messing with the marine life while diving? You want to spear fish, fine. You want to hunt for lobster, fine. But if you're not going to eat it then DON'T MESS WITH IT! Look but don't touch.

I couldn't begin to tell you ALL the stories I've heard of people getting injured by marine life they were poking at because they "Just wanted to know what it was". One guy damn near drowned because he decided to POKE at an Octopus to try and get it out of it's hole only to have it go postal on him and rip off his mask and take his reg out of his mouth while tying up both of his hands as he was trying to remove it from his face. Another guy POKING at a puffer fish trying to get it to puff up only to have it latch on to his finger so hard that he had to place his hand, and the fish, between his feet and pull with all his strength to get it to let go and loosing several layers of skin and his glove in the process. Another guy sticking his hand into a hole to try and pry loose "This cool looking Sea Urchin" only to find out that it was the type that had poisonous spines, his reaction was much like your was to this Ray. He said it felt like he stuck his finger into a light socket.

We're visitors to another world when we're diving and you should act accodingly. There are a lot of marine creatures that look "slow and lumbering" but when you mess with them become fast and agaile with some nasty defense mechanisms that can cause serious injury or even death. Treat them with the respect they deserve and you, and your buddies, won't get hurt.

Scott

Al,

I saw my first one at Folly. Pretty cool looking. I too got a zap from one though by accident. I was diving Lanes cove during the winter. It was one of those days vis was really bad and some divers ahead of us stirred up quite the amount of silt. I was over weighted (experimenting with dry-suit weights) and was sinking to bottom. I put my hand out at what I thought was bottom and quite the surprise when the bottom moved and then I got a little zap. I then knew what it was.

Pretty cool looking. From what I've heard, they have the ability to shock its victims from the top of its head.

Padipro once snapped...
Does the phrase "What were you thinking?" come to mind? For God sakes would you people stop messing with the marine life.
Scott

What was I thinking? I was thinking that this would be a pack of trouble. And, it was. Hey Scott, I'm just the messanger here. I didn't mess with the ray. As for my buddy, I think he knows better now....Al

Luis,
You know what's really cool. On our second dive we saw the ray again. but this time it was hovering about 1 foot above the bottom. It wasn't moving at all, just perfectly neutrally bouyant. We kept our distance and swam on:D ....Al

By an electric ray several years ago...Researching the ray, found they can pump up to 200V

Nasty hurt!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom