I was just quoted $975 for SSI AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tparrent:
Some clarification here.....

This "may" be one on one instruction. I am not sure about that but the shop did not seem to have a schedule but would just do when I could. That makes a big difference.

I think there were a total of 4 specialities and possibly 14 boat dives included. So there may be more value here than it appears.

Of course I hope all 14 dives are not pure skills and drills. Need to see the fishies too :wink:

Here's a link to Maui Dive Shop prices. 14 boat dives at two tanks each can run $70-$130 per two tank trip for a total of $490-$910. In addition to the 14 boat dives, there are 5-6 dives for OW certification. This brings the total number of dives to 19 or 20, leaving another 4 dives required for AOW.
The specialty dives and experience dives will be more than skills and drills. Much of it will just be diving. You'll have a great time.
It's sounding like a good deal to me. While you're at it, check on the price for OW only and let us know.

TheRedHead:
How ironic. People who complain about paucity of scuba instruction are howling over the cost of SSI AOW which includes 4 seperate classes.
Well, not really. Would have to consider it from others' point of view first. Generally and speaking generally, the PADI AOW is just those 5 dives one takes after reading the book. If that is all one knows about and say they did those as shore dives, $975 for them is juuuuuust a little steep.

DandyDon:
It'd be reasonable to ask exactly what the thousand bucks pays for. :11:
:wink:

Deuces:
Well, not really. Would have to consider it from others' point of view first. Generally and speaking generally, the PADI AOW is just those 5 dives one takes after reading the book. If that is all one knows about and say they did those as shore dives, $975 for them is juuuuuust a little steep.

I agree, but it's not a 5 dive PADI AOW. It's 4 (possible 5 if Rescue is included) courses. If they are good courses. it's a bargain. I don't consider the 5 dive AOW a bargain at any price.

Walter:
I agree, but it's not a 5 dive PADI AOW. It's 4 (possible 5 if Rescue is included) courses. If they are good courses. it's a bargain. I don't consider the 5 dive AOW a bargain at any price.
Ya, this SSI quote I'm sure has A LOT more involved than just 5 simple PADI dives.

Sorry for all the confusion.

This is not OW. It is AOW. I already have PADI OW cert.

14 dives from a boat - not 14 boat trips. Usually three dives on each trip I believe.

Four specialties.

Man, I gotta pull out a spreadsheet :eek:

In the end, I'll choose based on my feel for the instructors rather than price.

tparrent:
Do I run screaming in terror?

You are in Chicago right? Maybe for that price the class includes a trip to some salt water ocean dive site and a stay in a motel? If it does include something ery unusual like that then maybe some people would say it is worth it.

But if you really do have to spend that much you've be better off going to Florida and doing a weekend class there.

ChrisA:
But if you really do have to spend that much you've be better off going to Florida and doing a weekend class there.

Why is doing a weekend class better than 4 classes, each with classroom time, most with pool time and all with open water dives? You are saying he should pay less to learn less.

The price can vary based on the courses you take. I took dry suit for 1 of my courses, and it was a little higher for the rental of the dry suit. Nitrox is also higher, but it included 2 mitrox fills. Other courses start at around $100. From my LDS, the boat trips werre included, but they are trips to the lake, not ocean trips.

I don't know what the increase would be for 1 on 1 training.

All in all, I paid about $500 to $600 for my Master Diver, but that included Stress & Rescue. I already had a PADI specialty that I used for 1 of my 4 for my AOW.

TSandM:
My AOW ran $150 plus the written materials. Boat charges could add a great deal, depending on how many trips were involved.

That would have to be a gggrrrooouuppp of dives to warrent that kind of price.:confused:

My SSI AOW was $200.00 with all the necessary dives. :D

I don't care who thinks they can justify that kind of money.!!!Sounds like a RRiiipppp ooofff !!!!!:11:

Go to other LDS's and see what they would charge.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom