I was so spoiled last year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KatieMac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a new diver. I got my OW a year ago and did only 4 dives. I did another 10 just last week and realize how spoiled I was last year.

Last year, I was the only newbie on the boat. Everyone was very seasoned and mature. I didn't know there would be any other kind of diver.

This year was very different. I was still the newest diver on the boat (same boat, same dive center and still a small group - 7 or 8 divers) but I didn't have the same good fortune as last year. It seemed I had to constantly get out of the way of people who were determined to be in my space or swim back and forth around me to see everything people were pointing out. I was constantly more aware of where they were than they were of me.

At one point, I was hovering about 2 feet off the sand watching a crab when someone swam directly under me to see what we were looking at - all their bubbles up my BC. I'm a new diver and we were towards the end of the dive so my own buoyancy was a concern. This person has done over 1000 dives and knew I was a newbie.

Is this the norm that I just need to get used to?

I guess I'm kind of thankful for them though. They did push me to get better at moving out of people's way.

Last edited:
Depends on where you dive. Bigger boats/operations will seem to have less experienced vacation divers. Among that group, more than a fair amount are pretty bad. Go with operators that have smaller boats, or better - get with a pre-arranged group. Trips organized through your local dive shop can meet this need, but not always.

Most of these divers probably don't even know there is a problem with what they're doing. Manage your skills as best you can, and go with smaller groups if you can. Avoid operators that have everyone on the boat dive as a group rather than independent buddy pairs. That's my advice, such as it is. I'm certainly no pro myself.

It's unbelievable that a diver with over 1000 dives would even attempt to go under another diver that is only 2-3 feet off the sand. That's very rude and inconsiderate on their part.

Sounds like you have a great attitude and frame of mind., though. Unfortunately, we always have to look out for those divers that are only in the water for what they can see or experience, everyone else be damned, especially in a group of people you really don't know (and sometimes even if you do.)

Keep diving and learning from these experiences. I think you will do just fine.

Without trying to sound snarky, you get what you pay for. Many more experienced divers know to pay a little more for a smaller boat, fewer divers, and if you get the right boat, someone will take you under their wing and fill your vessel with knowledge. Some newer divers will not understand that the boat that sails with a cattle call for $10 less is a great place to get your mask smashed, your bladder pinched, and your toe stepped on. Look for a smaller operation. You'll be glad you spent the extra 20.

Experience doesn't stop someone from being an inconsiderate jerk. Some use their 'experience' like a club and feel that they are exempt from all courtesies. Hopefully they won't be on your next set of dives. :D

The simple fact that you are on this forum will likely have a positive impact on your diving - skills and other bits including etiquette. Swimming over another is a no-no typically because the diver below cannot see you (assuming they are in trim and not bicycling or otherwise flailing around). Being a few feet off the deck though it would be hard not to see you no matter what their position was. Had the same thing happen while I was taking photographs and motionless - WTF?!! Photogs can be some of the worst offenders - they'll do almost anything for a shot and then get impatient if your shot takes too long. Avoid the herd, get a good buddy who can spot for you (I'm assuming you'll be the one behind the lens) and is willing to wait while you shoot, and work on your trim & buoyancy every dive. And don't try and task load too early. Once you have your trim & buoyancy in control every other dive task will be that much easier.

Without trying to sound snarky, you get what you pay for. Many more experienced divers know to pay a little more for a smaller boat, fewer divers, and if you get the right boat, someone will take you under their wing and fill your vessel with knowledge. Some newer divers will not understand that the boat that sails with a cattle call for $10 less is a great place to get your mask smashed, your bladder pinched, and your toe stepped on. Look for a smaller operation. You'll be glad you spent the extra 20.

:) It was the same boat and dive operation as last year. Not a big one. 7-8 divers. But I get your drift.

Last edited:
The simple fact that you are on this forum will likely have a positive impact on your diving - skills and other bits including etiquette. Swimming over another is a no-no typically because the diver below cannot see you (assuming they are in trim and not bicycling or otherwise flailing around). Being a few feet off the deck though it would be hard not to see you no matter what their position was. Had the same thing happen while I was taking photographs and motionless - WTF?!! Photogs can be some of the worst offenders - they'll do almost anything for a shot and then get impatient if your shot takes too long. Avoid the herd, get a good buddy who can spot for you (I'm assuming you'll be the one behind the lens) and is willing to wait while you shoot, and work on your trim & buoyancy every dive. And don't try and task load too early. Once you have your trim & buoyancy in control every other dive task will be that much easier.
Thanks. Good advice. For now, I'm not carrying any camera. It was suggested that I take a camera because I take pictures on land but I refused. I want to be a good diver first.

I was just hovering with my dive buddy - probably for about 2-3 minutes - quietly watching a crab well behind the pack when this person (a MD) came from nowhere with their camera. Shoot me if I become that person.

The others in the group were torpedoes, back and forth from the front to the back - always between me and the wall. All with far more dives than me.

Small boat though - 7 divers, maybe 8.

Send two divers off in opposite directions and take turns tapping your tanks....watch them swim back and forth with complete abandonment......lol...

Happens too often....sad.

Send two divers off in opposite directions and take turns tapping your tanks....watch them swim back and forth with complete abandonment......lol...

Happens too often....sad.
YES. THAT'S WHAT I SAW!!!

I'm so new that I look for my buddy often and the experienced buddies I have had are good spotters. No need for banging tanks :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom