I will NOT shoot you tormenting a Pufferfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree. I've seen a photo of a sea slug rolled in sand, then the word ALOHA written on it by removing sand with a finger.
Was that slug traumatized or not?

Point is, the DM of that group did that and took the picture.

If a customer really wants a special souvenir pic, they should pay you extra, and you choose the "how".

Diver, do not for a minute think that I am amused -- like some of the less responsible and/or less experienced divers in our group -- by what you are doing to that Pufferfish. You are causing it trauma and maybe even jeopardizing its life. I will aim away and even turn my camera off before I'll shoot a single frame of that. You should be ashamed of yourself. As the divemaster/guide on this dive (this just makes it worse), you of all people should know better.

I hope that other videographers/photographers will join me in adamantly refusing to document this and similar behavior. While you may not be comfortable actually CONFRONTING the offender, you can at least demonstrably ignore them.

WTH??? They get that big??? I thought one would spearfish only certain types of fish you would want to eat and not for a trophy.

he looks happy to me... :idk: wait.... you meant the puffer fish. Yeah... it doesn't look happy with a spear through it... you're right...

1185234755_onespeed-1.jpg

WTH??? They get that big??? I thought one would spearfish only certain types of fish you would want to eat and not for a trophy.

oh yeah... they get HUGE!..... You just have to know where to look for them.

Here's another big one.

This hunter prefers the "tickle stick method". using it under their chin put them in a trance. It makes the big ones much easier to pose with for photo's and to put get in nets...

scubajenny.jpg

:nuke:

oh yeah... they get HUGE!..... You just have to know where to look for them.

Here's another big one.

This hunter prefers the "tickle stick method". using it under their chin put them in a trance. It makes the big ones much easier to pose with for photo's and to put get in nets...

(pic removed...hey, you can see it above!)

...and from this day forth, Mike_S shall be known as Mr. Grinch!

You're mean one, Mr. Grinch! :D

I saw a short clip in a Nat Geo advertisement on TV the other day of someone playing with one. Nat Geo is the worst for promoting, or at least broadcasting bad diving.

Maybe that ad just shows in Asia...

I agree. I've seen a photo of a sea slug rolled in sand, then the word ALOHA written on it by removing sand with a finger.
Was that slug traumatized or not?

Point is, the DM of that group did that and took the picture.

If a customer really wants a special souvenir pic, they should pay you extra, and you choose the "how".

Where were you when this happened?!? I had a very similar thing happen diving Tunnels beach with Fathom Five. The DM wrote Aloha in the "silt" on a sea slug, pulled a Spanish Dancer nudi off the reef to try and get it to do it's dance and regularly pulled starfish off the reef to put in the groups hands. I was really shocked at all the glove wearing divers on the boats in Kauai and how just about every one of them groped the reef and critters like they were their prom dates.

ry3D480.jpg

Last edited:
Geee, isn't it funny how all the puffer fish look exactly alike, at the same angle and everything? :whatever:

I like the one of the small puffer in the hand, captioned

"In case you not noes, this means I not happy!"

This one:

175-baby-puffer-fish.jpg

Geee, isn't it funny how all the puffer fish look exactly alike, at the same angle and everything? :whatever:

They are not... some of them have different facial expressions... (see below)

Besides... Wouldn't a Puffer Fish THAT BIG that's been speared, be leaking or something out of the spear holes? bubbles or something? :rofl3:

jenny_copy.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom