I wonder....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa

Can't read your complete signature at the bottom of your post. I assume that it would be When you stop you will be a mile away and will have his shoes to be the ending just not sure!

FIRST

Cause I have that kind of time while navigating the boats...:wink:

Who came up with this (no C card no air) idea and why?

MY answer is a LAWYER.

"Who killed your son, why the fill station that is who". If they had not given him air he would not have gone diving and would not have drown from stupidity. I'll sue them for everything they own and then some. :D

By giving an unqualified person a tank of air, any other gear, or ideas a good counselor could somehow, someway, create a series of events real or imaginary that leads right back to the air station.

Preventing Liability is a legal game. So an Insurance agent may be to blame as well. But I like to blame the Lawyers! :rofl3:

Jim,

I can answer the last one.

Here is an example. I was flying last year non-stop (that is how it felt) and logged plenty of BIS (but in seat) miles for work.

So this year I cashed 320k miles and half a million Marriott hotel points to get me and my wife basically a round trip around the world in first class and staying at great hotels. It cost me $325 in taxes and fees. That is all. (Flying Asiana, Thai, and Lufthansa in first class and staying at JW Marriott hotels.)

Has anybody ever been held legally liable for damages because they provided an air fill to an unqualified diver?

Everyone seems to have answered your first question ; in summation: perceived liability issues.

Number 2 has come up in the past: I do not know about anyone else, but I am filthy rich.

Jim, I believe you have the answer to the first question... and I seem to remember a long time ago that there were several cases of law suits on that issue...but it was before the internet, so not sure where one would find the records.

On the second.. usually two trips a year... and yea, I do it with friends really low cost...most of the people I dive with don't go one $10,000 dive trips.. more like 1 to 2 thousand, saved up for trips...

The second question has been still floating around my brain. It is a really good question and I think deserves a more thoughtful response than what I posted earlier.

My version of the OP question: How do people afford the time/cost of dive trips?

I don't think there are any "right" or "wrong" answers here -- it is all a personal decision.

I suspect much of the answer is going to be unique to the individual. Are you going by yourself? Do you work in the industry? What are your other obligations? What is your income?

That said, if you have an interest:
1) Make it a funding priority. Set aside a bit each month for a future trip. This works for a Galapagos trip in six months or a Roatan trip in four years. Start now -- set a trip date and a savings target that will get you to that target a few months earlier.
2) Look for ways to economize on the trip. Go off season. Use a frequent flyer credit card. Shop for packages/hotels. Be flexible about when and where you go. Use FF miles to go partway or all of the way there. Eat like a local. Bring snacks. Split the costs with others. Stay somewhere safe and clean that is close but not on the water. Stay closer to town and avoid the taxis. In terms of time, work harder part of the year and try to carve out some time in the slower season of your occupation.
3) Have fun. Two weeks in the Galapagos or a weekend charter to the Channel Islands. Or a short drive to the local dive spot. It is all good. The big time is where you are at.
4) Try a trip. My first trip, I was poor and diving was only one element of my trip. That gave me motiviation to dive and plan future trips. That fairly inexpensive six day trip started it all...
5) Imagine a dream trip. But a realistic one (not the over water bungalow at the St. Regis or a hut on Lizard Island). What is it like? Beach? Shore diving? Pool? Swim up bar? Dive camp? Fluffy spa towels? Then, see how much more that trip is than the one you have planned. You might be surprised.

How might this play out in real life? Lets say that it is you and a buddy splitting the costs. You could go to Bonaire and stay at WannaDive hut. Room/Unlimited Air/Truck would be $475 per person. Add departure tax and marine park fee and breakfast and you are around $600 per person. Throw some snacks into your luggage and spend about $15 per day on food. If you could use FF miles to get there, you would be good to go for just about $700 plus gas.

OTOH, you could stay at a regular room at the Carib Inn (about $120/nt including tax) or about $420 pp. Add food, departure tax and marine park and you are probably around $600. Add the truck and you are around $760 -- and can shore dive right off the dock for another $100/wk. So about $860 plus gas plus breakfasts... For me, that $160 plus breakfasts is worth it to be on the water with a pool. For others, it would be a waste -- they would rather save that money.

Or go to CCV in Roatan for about $1200 plus air for a week. That is food, diving (shore and boat), lodging, taxes, etc. So, if you could set aside about $25 a week and work a deal using FF miles, you could do that once a year...

OTOH, Lizard Island is about $5k/week per person. Plus diving -- at very high prices. I would love to go but could never justify that. Not even if my income doubled.

It is a matter of priorities. I travel a lot (Roatan, St Croix and Kauai this year, also Switzerland but that wasn't diving) however I don't have cable, I rarely eat in restaurants. I don't buy many "things". My coworkers are probably tired of seeing me in the same clothes and I drive my cars to the ground. When I travel I don't stay in expensive hotels.

It is a matter of priorities. ...however I don't have cable, I rarely eat in restaurants. I don't buy many "things". My coworkers are probably tired of seeing me in the same clothes and I drive my cars to the ground. When I travel I don't stay in expensive hotels.

Very good points. My wife and I have a similar lifestyle that allows us to really enjoy our vacations.

BTW, really learn to cook and you will not miss the restaurants at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom