Iantd - Normoxic OC vs Re-breather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EdwardHall

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello

I have recently completed the rebreather and advanced recreational trimix course from IANTD.

I am looking to start normoxic and I have the rebreather prerequisites any of the other prerequisites required for the course.

The instructor I would like to use is not a rebreather Normoxic certified instructor only open circuit normoxic.

Is it possible to take rebreather and open circuit while getting both certifications at the same time and if so will I have to use another instructor?

Then there is a full-trimix next.

Is there anyway to combine all of this?

I would like to get the open circuit skills as well doing deep dives along with the rebreather but I would hate to have to take the courses over again separately. Time is more important than a few dollars to me.

The instructor says not to worry about the rebreather certifications and that it won't matter, but I would feel better getting them if there was little cost to upgrade to both.

Advice?

Why the heck would you want OC trimix cert when you have a rebreather? You like spending hundreds on gas fills? Remember that if you need to bail out from the RB, you are now on OC trimix, so your training would carry over. Skip the OC training and do trimix on the RB. And try to find someone willing to go straight to full mix instead of stopping at normoxic. Normoxic on a rebreather is like a half measure. You have a blending machine on your back; make use of it. Usually if you do fine in the normoxic training, you can do a couple more dives deeper and get cert for full mix if you get the right instructor. And it really should be someone with the same rebreather as you. I would suggest a minimum of 50 hours on the rebreather before going to trimix. 100 hours is even better.

You should worry about the rebreather part of it. There is a difference between OC trimix and rebreather trimix. But, of course, an instructor that can only teach and dive OC trimix will tell you otherwise. That's either ignorance of the difference or just wanting to get the training fee from you.

You cannot combine normoxic trimix and hypoxic trimix. Hypoxic trimix has prerequisites, like experience at normoxic depths, that cannot/should not be waived. Take the normoxic class and go out and do some dives up to 200' deep. When you get enough experience then take the hypoxic course. And take both in your rebreather with an instructor who can teach them on the rebreather you dive.

Want my .02 on this?

Too bad, I will tell you anyway. skipo the OC training and save that boatload of money from training, fills, and equipment to put towaqrds boat charters, DPV, hookers or what ever makes you happy.

I do strongly suggest keeping you OC skills current and maintaining both confidence and capability. Bailing out puts you on OC and if you are not extremely comfortable then a bad day may end up being even worse.

If you really think that you need OC trimix, then find a mentor to do some OC diving with after your CCR Trimx class. If ypou have a rebreather, it is generally agreed upon that using it for the majority (if not all") of your dives is the best thing since it will keep your muscle memory intact.

What they all said! Can't add to that.:thumb:

Thanks guys, you were a little harsh, but it's the right path. I'll be going with intro to cave and Normoxic on the RB.

The gas costs saved might pay for a lot of the training.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom