Ice Diving claims two lives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is really tragic. As many have stated, they weren't diving very intelligently. They either weren't properly trained or chose to ignore their training.

The county sheriff was interviewed, and said that they had a line, but that it wasn't tied to them, and there was no surface support. He also said that they were trespassing and weren't supposed to be there.

With most areas of life, we learn from our mistakes. If we do not, we tend to have short or very troubled lives.

In diving, it is rare and extremely fortunate if we survive our mistakes. Unfortunately we must learn from the mistakes of others less fortunate.

The best way we can remember our lost fellow divers, is to honor them by learning from them.

My heart goes out to the families.

That certainly is sad news. I think the saddest part about it is that with proper training and support that could have been prevented. I have enjoyed ice diving for years but we always follow strict rules for our own safety. We use the proper equipment for the task at hand along with the proper topside support. If either one of those are compromised then we call the dive for the day and plan for the next one. I give my condolences to the family and friends of these two divers.

MASS-Diver once bubbled...
That's very sad news.

It's always risky to ice dive without surface tenders and a saftey diver.

Certainly this was a needless tragic incident. I won't call it an accident, because this was preventable if they had just followed the proper safety proceedures ie: tendered to someone on the surface, a safety diver ready if anything went wrong and a proper emergency plan with someone ready to act on a moments notice. This should be a wake-up call for anyone who does Ice Diving.

As I'm sure you are aware we spend almost 3 months doing Ice Diving here in Canada, everyone that I know invloved with it goes out of their way to ensure safety on any dive. Only diving with a buddy while doing Ice Diving is not a very safe thing to do and this lad will never do it. As a rule of thumb for us, we like 4 divers on the surface at minimum when doing an activity like this.

My heart goes out to the family of these two fellow divers who needlessly lost their lives.

Yup,

The way I've been taught is that one person goes in the hole at a time (with redundant gear). Two people going in at the same time with no surface support is very, very risky.

Hey im Tracy's son Michiel (Ma-kyle) I dont know if anyone will still read this but What i know was that The two of them were going ice diving and they had new-ish gear and everything and they were going to have there friend come pick them up like the next day or something. They had a rope tied to them and a tree and something happened and the rope came untied from the tree and a malfunction with one of the air tanks so they had to share one but of course it was only like a half of tank of air, So they could not find the hole....so....Yeahh But i think He had a license because he dived all the time and he was in the navy (U.S.S Carl Vinson) But that was what i was told so i guess just message me if you have any questions and i will try to answer if i know.

Hey im Tracy's son Michiel (Ma-kyle) I dont know if anyone will still read this but What i know was that The two of them were going ice diving and they had new-ish gear and everything and they were going to have there friend come pick them up like the next day or something. They had a rope tied to them and a tree and something happened and the rope came untied from the tree and a malfunction with one of the air tanks so they had to share one but of course it was only like a half of tank of air, So they could not find the hole....so....Yeahh But i think He had a license because he dived all the time and he was in the navy (U.S.S Carl Vinson) But that was what i was told so i guess just message me if you have any questions and i will try to answer if i know.

Hi Michiel. I am sorry for your loss. Thanks for the information. You should be warned that Accidents and Incidents threads are often not polite - this is no place for family since the discussions are dispassionate and often critical of the deceased divers (where any fault lies with the deceased). So while I appreciate the information, it may be best for you to not read this thread. If you do participate, it may be best to do it through a friend and not read it directly.

That being said, I am a bit confused - it seems from your post that one diver "had a license" - a scuba certification, or actual training for ice diving? A scuba certification does not allow you to ice dive safely since the overhead environment has its own risks and challenges. These risks and challenges can be mitigated with proper, specific training. Specific ice diver training should have included having a surface tender and how to deal with the accident of an unattended rope (bad) becoming untied. A few decades ago there was a rash of divers dying in caves - many of them were Open Water dive instructors who were confident in their abilities but ignorant in proper cave training. Were both divers trained in ice diving, or was one of them there on a "trust me" dive? Many "trust me" dives end in sadness....

Again, sorry for your loss...

Michiel, thank you for posting here. I am very sorry for your loss. As Crush said earlier, this section is very critical of divers actions. This section is meant to educate others, and help prevent similar accidents in the future. Many times, the details of these accidents are never made public. Thank you for the added information.

The malfunction with the air tank that you said could very likely be a free-flowing regulator. This can happen in very cold water. If not dealt with quickly, the tank can be drained in less than a minute (depending on tank sizes). People who routinely dive in cold water usually carry redundant sources of gas in case things like this happen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom