Ice Diving....Your thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

octgal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey,

wondering if anyone can give me some idea what this is like. I live up in Ontario Canada and plan on going ice diving with a group this year. I've heard its a lot of work..ie carrying your equipment across the lake and then cutting your own hole. Is it all really worth the effort? Personally I like the hard work and the challage, the harder the better, but what i really want to know, is it worth it.

Any advice on equpiment is welcome too, do you find a lot of free flow happening in the temps? Exactly what temps should i expect? I've been told i can do it with a 7mm wetsuit (i know lol we're Canadian)
thanks!

Neat post -- though I live in tropical climes (Central New York), I've been wondering about it too. Think I'll take a pass this year, though, get more experience first.

Is it worth it??? That is impossible to answer FOR YOU. The learning experience is worth it for me. You dont travel far from the hole do to your tether. You may or may not see alot. It is the over-head enviornment and cold temps you endure that make this educational. As far as a 7mm suit, well I dive with people in 38Degree water in 7mm suits occasionally but dont reccomend it for anyone. You can expect if the surface is frozen well enuf to walk on the water below is not far behind!!!!!!!
Free Flows: Yes, even with a good cold water reg you can experience free flows at these temps. Your breathing pattern can contribute as well as your intermediary (sp) pressure setting. Free flow is NOT a reason to cork to the surface, if it happens breath thru it and safely ascend, HAVE FUN.

P.S. 38 f equal to 2-3 C correct? Forgot to answer in Canadian LOL

I've seen a few people ice dive in wet suits but it isn't something that I'm going to do. even if you're warm enough during the dive you have to get out sometime.

It is a lot of work but the way most people do it you need lots of people so the work gets sporead out. Ice diving make a nice social event if you have plenty of hot food and a good camp fire. We used to have lots of folks show up for the party who weren't even diving.

It's something different and kind of fun that can keep you diving during the frozen time of the year. I don't ice dive any where near as often as I did when I was teaching it but it's something I still like to do once in a while.

As far as equipment, I prefer redundancy in any overhead regardless of what some agencies teach or allow. That said, free flows shouldn't be much of a problem with a reg that performs well in cold water and proper use. As you probably already gathered I prefer a drysuit which I don before ever going out onto the ice. It provides exposure protection in and out of the water and buoyancy should you fall in the hole before you're ready to dive...and I've seen that happen a few times.

Some sort of shelter where folks can really warm up comes in handy too. I have an old worn out canvas tent that I set up and a big propane heater that I put inside on cold days.

Thanks for the responses! I think any chance to dive, makes it worth it, so looks like i'll give it a go. Even in some of the worst conditions I have dove, i found those dives to be the best ones. I like the task loading and the challange, i feel like i'm actually DIVING then :) Kinda like flying a helicopter as compared to a cessna

I'm a newbie (OW in July 05). I recently (Oct 05) got my Dry Suit Cert with the intention of Ice Diving this winter. Go for it!!

I'm with Mike on the redundancy issue and I prefer to use a slung 30 cu ft deco bottle. You can hand it out of the hole at the end of the dive so it adds no weight when you climb out of the hole. In my opinion, most agencies are overly bound by tradition when it comes to ice diving and are well behind the times compared to other technical/overhead/penetration activities such as wreck diving and cave diving.

I also agree that a good cold water reg should not pose any freeflow issues, particularly if you use good cold water techniques, such as not inflating the dry suit and inhaling at the same time, not testing the reg before the first stage is fully submerged, not inflating the BC/wing prior to the dive, or anything else that increases the cooling of the regulator. Locally divers have a lot of success with the SP Mk 16 and SP Mk 2, but my personal favorite for cold water is the realtively new Mk 17. It's as bullet proof as you can get and most SP second stages alos do very well in cold water, particularly the G250 and X650.

With any regulator, it often helps to remove the rubber hose protectors, or at least slide them back off the metal LP port fittings as this then allows more heat transfer from the first stage. Removing the rubber trim boot/protector found on Scubapro second stages and other brands over the second stage LP inlet fitting can go a long way toward improving the cold water performance of the second stage as it is one of the few direct metal to water parts on the second stage.

Ice diving is do-able in a 7mm wetsuit, but you will want a warm day and a warming hut of some type. With a drysuit, it actually becomes enjoyable.

Ice diving is by nature a group activity and with 3-5 people, the work load per person is fairly small. Visibility under the ice can often be superb in lakes where it is only mediocre when the water is open. But, select buddies carefully, because one moron bouncing off the bottom or finning the silt up will permanently screw the visibility and it's a lot of work to move the dive site. Technically oriented divers used to overhead environments and with excellent nouyancy and finning techniques are an asset. In any event, discuss it up front and put the new or more silt prone divers at the back of the rotation (and still supportively voice the expectation that they do the dive in a silt free manner.)

Techniques also seem to vary slightly by certification agency and location. When I orignially certified, lines were fixed in the ice with ice screws and the protocol was one diver in the water and one safety diver on the edge of the hole with a longer line. Locally, the tender holding the line is the only security for the line and they put two divers in the water together (the buddy system).

Tended lines tend to be short on the premise that you need to be close to the hole in the event of a freeflow, etc and I think that severely limits the fun of ice diving. Personally, I like to use wreck penetration techniques and run a reel from a down line, but it's minority view so I seldom get to use that approach.

One thing I often do early and late in the year when bays are frozen over but the lakes are still open out on the points. is to enter open water and then set a line and "penetrate" back under the ice shelf. With adequate redundancy have much more freedom of movement with no compromise in safety. And if you can follow a compass course, you can recover from a lost or broken line just by following the bearign back to open water. So if you are advanced wreck or cave trained, it may give you another option for early and late season ice diving.

so whats this I hear with people in dry suits rocketing up to the surface feet first?
Other then looking like a complete idiot (or worse for rocketing) whats the deal with that? How do you pervent it and how/why does it happen. Just wondering

octgal:
Hey,

wondering if anyone can give me some idea what this is like.

Wicked COLD :05:

octgal:
so whats this I hear with people in dry suits rocketing up to the surface feet first?
Other then looking like a complete idiot (or worse for rocketing) whats the deal with that? How do you pervent it and how/why does it happen. Just wondering
One of the possibilities with a dry suit, at least a poorly fitting one, is for the diver to go into a head down position and have all the air rush to his or her feet. One of the things you learn in a dry suit course is how to recover from that position as virtually no dry suits have dump valves in the ankles.

A dry suit has a enormous amount of potential lift so if a diver lets the gas in the suit expand too much before dumping on ascent, things can get out of hand as the rapidly growing volume of gas in the suit can expand faster than the dump valve can dump it during a rapid ascent. Venting by pulling a neck or wrist seal away from your skin is an option, but one that will leave you wet. Flaring in what amounts to a spread eagled sky diving position also helps as it greatly increases drag compared to a head (or feet) toward the surface ICBM position. And since drag increases as the square of the velocity, greatly increasing your drag will drastically decrease your ascent rate in that situation.

Personally, I prefer the snug fit of a properly sized neoprene dry suit as it will allow me to stand on my head if I prefer without having problems with excessive gas shifting to my feet. Most trilams and other types of shell suits are not that permissive. Some suits will use straps around the ankles, but they do more to keep your feet in the boots than to keep air out of the boots. It really sucks to be upside down in an over inflated suit AND not even have your feet in your boots (or consequently your fins).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom