IDC..or maybe not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sommer71

Registered
Reaction score
:confused: People really go fore the IDC in Thailand, but from what i have been reading its not such a good deal-or is it??
Is it possible to make a living, and maybe just a little easy life in betwen, working as a instructor in Thailand??
Dont expect much, more than a year or two in a new life style away from everyday normal life(need a break)
PLZ. reply any info would mean a lot!!!!

Best regards

Sommer

Are you being specific to Thailand??? If you are there isn't much help I can give you.

Yet, as an Instructor, your possiblities are endless. If you choose to remain an Open Water Scuba Instructor (PADI OWSI or equivalent), then you may be limiting yourself. The lifestyle is different yes, so is the money. You make a sacrifice from this point of view, but the work is very rewarding.

Continuing education! You can move up the ranks, and not only on the PADI or Rec ladder. Do some tek, if it tickles your fancy, teach it someday perhaps. Join up on a EMC course, Dive Chamber technician, perhaps even start your own company.

In the end, wherever you are, you have to have the ambition. If you're happy with just being an OWSI (or equivalent) then that is fine. If not, find new things to learn, get more qualifications and make yourself more marketable. Make contacts. That way you can go as far as you like!!!

If you doing an instructor course for collecting a 'badge' then the certifying agency will be more than happy to take your money, but it won't be much use to you if you don't want it.

Sorry if I have no info Thailand specficially, hope the rest helps.

Peace
=-)

Originally posted by Aqua Buoy
Are you being specific to Thailand??? If you are there isn't much help I can give you.

Yet, as an Instructor, your possiblities are endless. If you choose to remain an Open Water Scuba Instructor (PADI OWSI or equivalent), then you may be limiting yourself. The lifestyle is different yes, so is the money. You make a sacrifice from this point of view, but the work is very rewarding.

Continuing education! You can move up the ranks, and not only on the PADI or Rec ladder. Do some tek, if it tickles your fancy, teach it someday perhaps. Join up on a EMC course, Dive Chamber technician, perhaps even start your own company.

In the end, wherever you are, you have to have the ambition. If you're happy with just being an OWSI (or equivalent) then that is fine. If not, find new things to learn, get more qualifications and make yourself more marketable. Make contacts. That way you can go as far as you like!!!

If you doing an instructor course for collecting a 'badge' then the certifying agency will be more than happy to take your money, but it won't be much use to you if you don't want it.

Sorry if I have no info Thailand specficially, hope the rest helps.

Peace
=-)
:wink: What a nice reply!! i am of course doing this cause i vant it!
I am not looking to make a million, but must admit to the fact, that i am doing it cause i vant to get away from the hassle and lifestyle that i am living now-to hopefully do something more forfilling!!
THX for taking the time to reply!!

Sommer:)

I am glad to be of some help, and I'm happy to get a chance to give some advice.

I wish you good luck in your adventures. All the best.

Peace :wink:

Thailand . An open water student of mine went there to teach ESL.

Told me to wait in line for the chance to teach diving there.

I make little to no money teaching diving and have had the same "day job"(not dive related) for 22 years.

When I retire (7 years) I plan to start my own shop some where.There are profits to be made as a store owner .

If your are interested in teaching diving in Thailand you might consider teaching ESL there as well .

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom