Idea for getting back without a walk through transom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lee3645

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have access to a 22’ Edge Water down in Key Largo. Getting in to the water is not the problem more of getting out. The boat has a swim ladder but climbing up that and then over the transom with all the gear on will be a challenge. I have an idea and wanted to post it up and see if anyone has done this or has a better idea. For getting back on to the boat get 20’ of rope with a round fender on one end. Then place snap rings about 5’ apart on the rope. Finally cleat the other end to the boat. That way at the end of the dive all we would have to do take off the BC clip it to one of the snap rings, get on the boat, retrieve the gear and off to the next dive site.

I've heard of people diving this way. Just be sure you're BC is inflated and holding air. :wink:

Another option is to hand it off to the person still on the boat before you climb up.

lee3645,
if one were wearing a weight belt, would that come off first?
what would be your suggestion on how to clip it to your line?
thanx,

lee3645,
if one were wearing a weight belt, would that come off first?
what would be your suggestion on how to clip it to your line?
thanx,

Very good point about the weight belt, as I believe there was one death recently attributed to taking off BC before removing weight belt.

Hopefully there is someone staying on the boat in case of emergencies that weights could be handed off to.

I have no ladder (inflatable) and regularly clip off single and double tank rigs, doff them, swim over the boat tube, and then pull the tanks aboard.

I have about 8 tag lines around the perimeter of the boat and we clip everyting off, camera's, scooters, deco bottles, tanks, etc. Then remove our lead and swim aboard. System works fine, in fact most people prefer it to some less than optimum ladders.

Typical small boat ladders are not built to handle a big guy wearing scuba gear. Using tag lines resuced the load on the ladder and your back. Just make sure they are long enough so the gear floats down wind/current away from the hull so it does not bang up your gel coat.

I have access to a 22’ Edge Water down in Key Largo. Getting in to the water is not the problem more of getting out. The boat has a swim ladder but climbing up that and then over the transom with all the gear on will be a challenge. I have an idea and wanted to post it up and see if anyone has done this or has a better idea. For getting back on to the boat get 20’ of rope with a round fender on one end. Then place snap rings about 5’ apart on the rope. Finally cleat the other end to the boat. That way at the end of the dive all we would have to do take off the BC clip it to one of the snap rings, get on the boat, retrieve the gear and off to the next dive site.

People do that but I just climb up my ladder and over the transom, it is easy to do and is no problem. This idea that climbing a ladder is hard or stepping over the transom from the platform is difficult is much exaggerated but if you want to solve a problem that does not exist, sounds like a good solution to nothing.

You may find recovering gear over the gunwale in seas more of a challenge than just climbing the ladder with the gear on. Get a proper single pole dive ladder. JMO, YRMV.

DSCF0019.jpg

clip_image002.jpg

slide122.jpg

outdoors.jpg

1167668136_0.jpg

IMG_1607_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

N

I've heard of people diving this way. Just be sure you're BC is inflated and holding air. :wink:

And don't forget to pull it up before taking off.. it's happend

My wife has a bad back, so we simply tie a fairly thin line w/ a snap to the transom eye - when she comes up, she inflates her BC, loops the line around the shoulder straps, and secures it via the snap. Then gets on the boat sans gear via the ladder - I pull up her gear. We also had another set up on the opposite side but some dope took off w/out checking and the props cut that line :shakehead::rofl3:

The reason you want a thin line is its easier to work with - while putting snaps at intervals as you suggested may work, the line as suggested will work better - and with the exception of making sure its out of the way before you take off, has worked well for us since 1985. You are correct in saying swim ladders were not meant for a diver in full gear, and our system works best w/ integrated weights.

Back
Top Bottom