Ideal diving conditions for new divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah. I do enjoy diving in the tropics but my local diving makes you feel like a real man :D

R..

I feel like an OLD man (which I am) every time I dive up here and fart around with the wetsuit pants. I know, go dry.

I feel like an OLD man (which I am) every time I dive up here and fart around with the wetsuit pants. I know, go dry.

At least you can plausibly argue that your incontinence problems is just "central heating" :)

R..

I do enjoy diving in the tropics but my local diving makes you feel like a real man

Guess I'd better avoid it, then . . . :)

Thanks for the interesting share, guys! The "cube" concept is new to me and I have never heard about it until now.

I also had to read back and clarify that I welcome opinions which swing both ways (what's ideal vs. what's to avoid).

Cheers!

On your open water course you should have signed a diver statement at the point of certification saying you agree to dive in conditions similar to which you have learnt - think viz, current, temperature, water type etc.

This does not mean you shouldn't expand on your comfort zone, but depending on your current confidence I'd definitely recommend that for now you stick with low to minimal current, similar viz to what you're used to and dive sites with a max bottom depth that do not exceed your current certification level. If you already feel comfortable and ready for the next step then you could think about a specialty course like Buoyancy,Night and Limited Visibility or Navigation for example, which will allow you to expand your diving experiences whilst still under the supervision of an Instructor - and learning more at the same time.

With regards to your fresh/salt water question, because fresh water is lacking in current, surge etc but normally entails more reduced visibility perhaps it could be a good option for you - growing your comfort in limited viz without having to worry about choppy surface conditions or underwater drift. It'd also be a good exercise in buoyancy control and proper weighting if you are used to diving in salt water so far.

Hope this help, happy diving :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom