Ideas for video editing software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cudabait

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm looking for suggestions for good user friendly editing software. Any and all suggestions appreciated........:D

iMovie is an easy editing program but has limits.

I like Final Cut Pro X it is 64bit, so it is fast and very capable video editing program. FCP is an Apple program and requires Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.

Enjoy!

For PC's one option is the Pinnacle Studio line. There's a free download so you can try it b4 you buy. They don't seem to have the version 15 trial on their website yet but here's a link to the v. 14 trial: http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSi...+Ultimate+version+14+Trial?code=studio14trial

Or Adobe Premiere Elements, you can d/l and try it first also: Adobe Premiere Elements 10 | Movie editor, Movie editing software

A third option woukld be Sony's Vegas Movie Studio - I use it. Trial available here: Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 Overview
It's probably a steeper learning curve than the two above but IMO you can do more with it later. I've used the full version Premiere in the past and my buddy does his dive videos in Studio 12 so I have some familiarity with all 3 products.

All retail around $100 or less.

I found Vegas Video the easiest...I also have Premiere on Sandra's Imac.....but Premiere is no where close to intuitive...Vegas just "makes sense" as you go....Vegas has an inexpensive version for consumers not interested in all the pro level features of Vegas Pro 11, and the home version uses essentially the same user interface and controls as the pro version...so if you get good at your videos, you can upgrade and continue to leverage your growing skill set with the program. Try the 30 day free trial. This is the home version Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 Overview AND this is the Pro version, which I really like... Vegas Pro 11 Overview

Check out some of my videos on the www.sfdj.com video page.

Another vote for Sony Vegas Movie Studio. I have been using it for several years now and have been quite satisfied.

One good thing about almost any of these is that you can go to youtube and see all kinds of "how to" videos on using these products. I learned a lot using that method.

This is sounding like the Sony fan club, but yet another vote for Vegas Studio Platinum. Actually there are so few differences between the summer 2010 version (10) and the current edition (11) that you may as well take up the discount on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Vegas-St...1CZ8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1321436353&sr=8-2

You also get a 45 min. Sony training DVD in the pack, which is just what you need to get started. As others have said, you can find videos on vimeo or you tube about effects or editing techniques you might want to use. For a few years I had Corel Video Studio, which was OK, but I find that Vegas is much better - you can do more with it, control more things, and it uses your computer's power more efficiently (=shorter rendering times). All for $40!

Cheers,
Matthew

I am in a similar situation, looking for new video editing software.

I have a mac & use a GH2.

I have downloaded a trial version of Adobe premiere. Its a bit slow but not sure if it will be the same with the purchased version.
Any other suggestions

I want the basics of editing +
1.Ability to white balance,change colour tones.
2. Ability to use slow motion/fast motion for part of video clips
3. Stability to minimise camera shake.

A

Thanks to everybody for all the help. I decided to buy Vegas Movie Maker HD Platinum II. It is coming along with a small learning curve. You can take a look at a rendition I did with other sftware.......I should be able to improve renditions with Vegas. See here: ROATAN SPLASH INN, A DIVING ADVENTURE - YouTube.

Thanks to everybody for all the help. I decided to buy Vegas Movie Maker HD Platinum II. It is coming along with a small learning curve. You can take a look at a rendition I did with other sftware.......I should be able to improve renditions with Vegas. See here: ROATAN SPLASH INN, A DIVING ADVENTURE - YouTube.

Cudabait.....Just watched your video.....thought it was very appealing... as a competing destination, this was not what I was hoping for :) Just kidding.
Good Job.
Regards,
Dan Volker
South Florida Dive Journal > Home
( Palm Beach )

Back
Top Bottom