If I could buy only one piece of gear, what should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, my new list:

Mask
Regs
Bcd
Computer
You may not need to buy your own fins unless you need your own booties. If you need your own booties, then, this moves UP the list because not all fins fit all booties. You'll want to make sure of a good fit, for you!

I would normally recommend your own wetsuit sooner but not if taking public transportation, as in a bus but this too can depend upon how much time you will have to dry it before returning on the public transport and of course, how many mm of suit you need for where you will be diving. A 3mm isn't heavy and can be made into a nice bundle that can protect your regs and mask and computer, and so on and so on

I'm a new diver (OWC in October). But my buying-decision-making process is still fresh in my head. I agree that mask, fins, booties, and snorkel are crucial to own at the beginning because of fit, sanitation, and dependability (with an extensive snorkeling background, I have come across open-heel fins with malfunctioning straps or bad fits).

I debated, after my certification, if I should take the plunge and buy the whole package or purchase items as time passed. I ended up buying the package (BC, octopus, wetsuit, and computer). My thoughts:
  • Okay, I had the $2,000, and my dive shop--like most dive shops--discounted the package. This saved me about $300 from purchasing everything separately over time. A 15% discount.
  • In the long run, versus renting, it's cheaper.
  • If I opted to buy piecemeal, I'd purchase the octopus next. During my certification and following club-sponsored pool dives, I twice had faulty, rented second-stage regulators. As suggested to me by a veteran diver, since this was the device that would keep me or my dive buddy alive, it should be my next purchase and give me peace of mind. Heck, a torn, rented wetsuit will still keep you warm and protected from scrapes. But, hey, if there's no air all of a sudden...well, there's just no air and no future.
  • On my first boat dive (off of Key Largo), I was really nervous. But I found a lot of comfort in knowing the equipment that I had--my own--was dependable and comfortable (I pool-tested it before my trip). Again, a lot of stuff I didn't have to worry about. And I'm finding that most of the scuba experience is a pure mental and emotional one that shouldn't be clouded by anxiety.

Mask and computer tied for first, wetsuit second, fins third. None take a massive amount of space or are hard to transport

Mask, snorkel, fins+boots, weight belt. And a few safety items like a KNIFE or EMT SHEARS plus SMB and whistle. Wetsuit if needed. Now you can at least snorkel effectively any time, anywhere and you have the basics required on every dive.

Then get a regulator set. Less icky than rentals and probably more reliable, but some people will argue that point either way. Then BCD or wing, computer, and tank(s).

If you dive locally with any frequency, buying your own full set of gear (even including tanks) sooner instead of renting makes a lot of financial sense. Especially when you consider that it's often difficult to return rentals within a day and the multi-day charges rack up. It really is worth it. Wish I did sooner.

Do a lot of research, look at what your EXPERIENCED peers use, and try to get gear that makes sense for your diving now and in the future. Don't buy into the gimicky "cool new feature" stuff. Go for simple and tough gear. Everyone seems to regret at least one big dive purchase made early on. Personally I got a fancy jacket BCD because that's what the dive shops rent and sell noobies, but I really wish I bought a backplate and wing right off the bat. Split fins are a common regret around here.

A lot of people will recommend a computer immediately, and it's a valid recommendation, but they are pricey and you can absolutely dive safely without one. Learning to use tables will serve you well. I didn't get a computer until I started doing deeper, longer, and more frequent dives after about ten years with my c-card. Computers are useful, but not strictly necessary. Especially for the short shallow dives a new diver is likely to be making.

Mask, snorkel, fins+boots, weight belt. And a few safety items like a KNIFE or EMT SHEARS plus SMB and whistle. Wetsuit if needed. Now you can at least snorkel effectively any time, anywhere and you have the basics required on every dive.

If only one item of gear, I'd vote for the DSMB. It is a pretty critical safety item and not often available for rent. (Dive tool and signaling device also essential to dive with.)

Get the smaller least expensive stuff. Mask, wet suit, fins, ( You don't need a scuba equipment manufactured wet suit, there are lots of no name ones available for water skiing and general swimming and they work fine.)

Get a mouth piece and swap it with the rental. I recently got one of those custom fit ones. ( about $US10) you just dip it in hot water then bite on it, it conforms to your mouth. The increase in comfort was huge. Wish I had bought one 20 years ago,

First major item would be a computer. Then you can log all your dives electronically. Finally reg and BC set.

Mask - it is a fit thing.

Computer........ Every Shop rents something different, and there is a learning curve on the software. Being comfortable with your DC, is optimal.

There is little to no learning curve for rest of gear.

Mask - it is a fit thing.

Computer........ Every Shop rents something different, and there is a learning curve on the software. Being comfortable with your DC, is optimal.

There is little to no learning curve for rest of gear.

Mods: Please close this thread as Michael has given the perfect answer with great reasoning for his choices!

:yeahbaby:
markm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom