If I do not know the intermediate pressure supplied by the 1-st stage, which 2-nd stage to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarponchik

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
That is, rated for 50-80, 80-110, or 110-140 Psi? Too low will go into free flow, and too high won't give air, right?

Unless you're interested in some niche product, normal 2nd stages all accept ~135-140 psi IP. There are no 1st or 2nds purposely made for 50psi (eg)

A gauge to measure the IP will cost you maybe $15 and is one of best ways to determine when your 1st needs servicing
And then what am I going to do with it? Sell it on SB? My garage is already full of such junk.

Apparently, there are.
Oh yay more mystery branded Chinese life support equipment! Do you have a first stage set at 50psi? How's that breathe for ya?

And then what am I going to do with it? Sell it on SB? My garage is already full of such junk.
If you are continuing to dive, you will use it to keep an eye on the health of your first stage..... It's not junk anymore than have an OBD2 dongle to check codes on your car is.
As to IP ranges, the ones you linked to are a niche product. Made for Hookah rigs, not SCUBA. @rjack321 was correct insofar as SCUBA 2nds go.

Respectfully,

James

And if you are adamantly against finding out your actual IP and insist on buying a Hookah second to put on your reg, your original post is only partially correct. IP to high above what the second is designed for will cause free flow, but IP below what it's designed for will "just" make it breathe really hard... however it will breathe as long as IP doesn't go below ambient.
If you want to verify this yourself, just try to breathe off a reg that you took the dust cap off the first stage but didn't hook it up to a tank. You can suck air through it.... but it takes a hell of a lot of effort. That is an effective IP of ambient.

Respectfully,

James

Take it with you on travel and charge your dive buddies $5 to measure their IP when they mention IP creep is worrying them. It'll pay for itself in no time.

Back
Top Bottom