If you could change one thing about dive training...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A scissor kick is the kick you use with sidestroke. I used as a lifeguard when hauling people out of the water.
Not exclusive to side stroke. It is my default lazy swimming technique for horizontal attitude. I often alternate between frog and scissors, I like scissors because thrust feels stronger thus longer gliding.
Lets all read this and agree/calibrate on terminology before it gets overly off topic. At the end of the day, Wikipedia is always right.

Is the Flutter kick a-la PADI (legs straight, wagging up and down) the same as the Flutter kick a-la GUE (thighs straight, legs bent at the knee, thrust from lower half of the leg) the same thing?
I would say that a bent leg is not the same as a straight leg, although they may be the same leg on the person.

Not exclusive to side stroke. It is my default lazy swimming technique for horizontal attitude. I often alternate between frog and scissors, I like scissors because thrust feels stronger thus longer gliding.
Lets all read this and agree/calibrate on terminology before it gets overly off topic. At the end of the day, Wikipedia is always right.
Thanks.

A flutter kick - beloved of newbies, etc.

A modified flutter kick - as per technical divers and taught in Fundies.

Is the Flutter kick a-la PADI (legs straight, wagging up and down) the same as the Flutter kick a-la GUE (thighs straight, legs bent at the knee, thrust from lower half of the leg) the same thing?
You seem to be missing the point that GUE has a definition that is not used by the rest of the world. If you are talking among GUE people, you can speak in their language, but when you speak with the rest of the world, you create confusion when you don't use the language used by the rest of the world.

You seem to be missing the point that GUE has a definition that is not used by the rest of the world. If you are talking among GUE people, you can speak in their language, but when you speak with the rest of the world, you create confusion when you don't use the language used by the rest of the world.
Says the American :wink:

As a mate used to say, Brits spent millennia creating English. Americans spent 200 years perfecting it…

I don't know what kind of scissors you guys are using, but the blades on my scissors open in one direction, then meet back up in the middle. If your ankles pass each other, it's a flutter kick. If they come together, then the same leg goes back up and the other leg goes back down, it's a scissor kick.

I don't know what kind of scissors you guys are using, but the blades on my scissors open in one direction, then meet back up in the middle. If your ankles pass each other, it's a flutter kick. If they come together, then the same leg goes back up and the other leg goes back down, it's a scissor kick.
That's the definition most of the world uses.

@Wibble

Swimming predates diving. You can't redefine a term that 99.99999999% of the swimming and diving members use.

Number of swimmers >>>>>>> number of divers.
Number of divers >>>>>>>>>> number of DIR divers.
I "liked" this, but there are way too many 9s after the decimal point.

My ankles do slightly pass when doing a scissors kick. The big difference, other than a scissors kick being part of sidestroke, is cadence and how far the upper legs move rather than the precise stopping points.

They are really very different kicks, I don't understand the confusion.

Scissor kick

Flutter kick (after the initial dolphin kicks)

I "liked" this, but there are way too many 9s after the decimal point.
How many people swim in the world? Hundreds of millions?

How many DIR divers are there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom