If you were buying a new drysuit today, which one would you buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have to go with custom sizing, Diving Concepts is as expensive as DUI, and as with almost any custom suit I've read about, there can be significant issues with getting the fit right (BTDT).

Being able to avoid custom anything was one of the big selling points for the Fusion, for me.

As an alternative to the DUI suits you might want to look at Divings Concepts. Very similar designs and materials at a significantly lower price.

I originally had their compressed neoprene suit (but put on few pounds) and then switched over to their Tri-lame. I actually liked the neoprene suit a bit more as it was warmer and certainly had less drag in the water. Most people that see these suits are surprised at the quality level and value. On the down side no so many shops carry this brand.
Good call too. I guess what it boils down to is just about any suit marketed today will do for the recreational diver. I can't think of one that would be labeled "junk" off the top of my head. The DC just mentioned can be "tailored" to you due to the fact that because so few places carry it you can order it direct and still not pay through the nose! :wink:

Again, I may sound like a broken record but I repeat what I said. If I didn't have any idea what I wanted I would rent and try different types of suits first to see what I wanted: Tri-Lam, Fusion, Neoprene, Crushed Neoprene, etc. (I left out the V. Rubber because I doubt a recreational diver would go there.)

Also check out valve and zipper location. THIS IS VERY important and everybody has an opinion on where they should be but the bottom line is, where do YOU want them located!!??

After you have figured out what type of suit and location of valves and zipper, THEN you can begin looking at manufacturers and features: pockets, pee-valve, don't forget the suspenders! Etc.

Then you can make a check list of what is necessary and what is desired. Then look at price.

Until you have rented and tried out various suits and features, you won't know what is important!

There you go! :wink:

My first drysuit was a full neo suit, High Tide -- which is quite pricey but mine was used and a very good bargain. Pros -- bullet proof, very warm -- Cons -- stiff, fine for recreational diving but I couldn't have reached my valves if someone had grabbed my hand and yanked.

Second suit, and current "default" suit -- Bare compressed neo -- I got a very good deal on it through a friend -- Pros -- very rugged, pretty warm, flexible enough (can do valve drills), came with neoprene neck seal (I LOVE neo neck seals) -- Cons -- boots are a little flabby (really no particular cons -- it's a good suit) -- well it IS heavy and doesn't dry very quickly so it's not a particularly good travel suit

Third suit -- yup, Fusion -- Pros -- I think it is easy to get on and off (especially if you work with your buddy, just sit down and buddy can pull it off in seconds); VERY flexible; VERY easy to dive; dries quickly; very light (great travel suit which is how I use it); good rock boots -- Cons -- no pockets (but X-shorts aren't really a problem but I think I'm going to try Rick Inman's trick and put some pockets on the Lycra (not tech) skin); latex neck seal (did I mention I love neo neck seals?) but I'll probably send it in and get that switched out

The next time I go cave diving I'm probably going to take the Fusion because I was getting too cold in my 5 mil but that means I need to get a P-valve installed which is a new step for me.

I only have about 10 dives on my fusion - after four years with an Oceanic Aerdura tri-lam - I did not like the tri-lam suit at all. It was difficult to dive and manage the air. The fusion is a little weird to put on at first, but after a few dives I have found that it is easier and faster than my old tri-lam. There is a trick to it - basically you roll the suit and pull up the inner bladder in your legs - and then 'smooth' the skin up your legs to fit correctly - I know it sounds weird, but it works for me. I also use regular wetsuit boots with mine as I don't see the need for the rockboots.

You mean regular booties?

I dive a Atlan North Shore Hyper-compressed high density 4mm heavy duty nylon laminated Drysuit. Atlan is a Canadian company they make a great suit at a reasonable price see below link. I guess its for you to do the research as to which style you would like shell versus neoprene, I would advise if you decide neoprene go with the hyper compressed less of a problem with buoyancy shift but can be a little more expensive.

Atlan Drysuits

I tried wetsuit booties over the Fusion, and they fit fine. I found they slipped around with the amount of sock I have to wear to stay warm, and when I was walking on uneven ground. They worked better in Mexico, where I had one thin sock. I ended up with Converse High Tops.

If I had it to do over again I'd get a TLS350 instead of my TLSse. It's a nuisance asking for help getting geared up, and I think the exhaust dump would lie higher on my arm. I like the fit of the TLSse, though, and I can reach my valves easily. It needs bigger pockets and maybe Zip seals, so I'm deciding whether to have more work done on it, or just get a 350 and have it for a back-up. Being a stock size does make things cheaper for me.

Consider the kind of diving you want to do. Ive got 20 years in 2 DUI TLS 350 suits 500 dives in cold water but youre looking at close to $2000. Right now I prefer my $700 Atlan 7 mil Neoprene suit w/drygloves and p-valve for warmth and comfort. It wont last as long as a TLS but stretches and is a trim fit. Your body type and the ease of finding a good fitting suit is an important consideration. What do the experienced open minded divers in your area use? Keep function above fashion. And dont forget the importance of details like a good fitting warm hood and gloves. Diving concepts dry gloves that mate to wrist seals are my current favorite.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom