If you were going to dive in Florida...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kellevil

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
...where would you rent a condo? I'm just looking for a general location based on the best places to dive.

Here is the situation. I am going to rent a condo (or something) and stay in Florida for a month next summer. I am taking my wife and 4 kids. My 21 year old Niece will be coming along as babysitter while we dive.

The whole purpose of the trip is scuba diving. And I want to see as much as possible while I am there. My wife is new to diving and would probably prefer shallow reef dives. I would also like to do some more challenging (deeper dives). I would also like to get some more training while I am there. My wife and I are both OW and will be getting our AOW before we go. We are also going to get my 10 year old daughter her Jr. Scuba cert before we go. So she will be doing some dives as well.

I would even consider staying 2 weeks at one location and 2 weeks at another. It doesn't have to be a place right on the beach either. Just within driving distance of dive locations.

Also... I am sure there a tons and tons of dive shops in Florida but what is everyone's favorite?

...where would you rent a condo? I'm just looking for a general location based on the best places to dive.

Here is the situation. I am going to rent a condo (or something) and stay in Florida for a month next summer. I am taking my wife and 4 kids. My 21 year old Niece will be coming along as babysitter while we dive.

The whole purpose of the trip is scuba diving. And I want to see as much as possible while I am there. My wife is new to diving and would probably prefer shallow reef dives. I would also like to do some more challenging (deeper dives). I would also like to get some more training while I am there. My wife and I are both OW and will be getting our AOW before we go. We are also going to get my 10 year old daughter her Jr. Scuba cert before we go. So she will be doing some dives as well.

I would even consider staying 2 weeks at one location and 2 weeks at another. It doesn't have to be a place right on the beach either. Just within driving distance of dive locations.

Also... I am sure there a tons and tons of dive shops in Florida but what is everyone's favorite?
You are going to want to go to Palm Beach for this....There are places where your wife can do a shallow dive ( 40 feet) with a buddy, while you can be doing a 90 foot dive, at the same time, on the same boat....this would be Boynton Beach--her diving the inshore ledge and crown, while you dive the fingers...the boat drops groups over both areas, as they are not far apart....there are buddies for both of you on the boat.
Or, you have spectacularly more challenging dives in Juno/Jupiter.
Lifestyle while you are here for your family can be excellent, as you can get about anything you want in Palm Beach county.
REgards,
DanV

Key Largo, Tavernier and Islamorada.

Key Largo!!!!
Sorry, Key Largo is baby diving ...there is no challenge, and the reef life does not come close to Palm Beach....Of course, the print magazine and general advertising budget of Key Largo is Huge....if dive experiences were related to advertising volume and content, then Key Largo or Maybe Sea World would be the place to go :)
REgards,
DanV

Baby Diving??????

Regarding there not being a challenge well I would assume that the 10 year old in the group isn't exactly looking for challenging diving. The shallow reef sites offer great options for this.

For those looking for a challenge Key Largo is in the list of the top ocean technical diving locations any where in the world and that has nothing to do with advertising budget. When was the last time you say advertising on the 200'+ dive sites off Key Largo.

I do think Sea World has Key Largo beat on the advertising budget. Don't get me wrong I see where your coming from on the advert's and regarding marine life if you stick to the reefs that get 500 divers a day on them during the summer your spot on. There are a number of less visited sites that have absolutely amazing reef life. Molasses Reef for example is barren in comparison.

Palm Beach is cool as well but the area lacks that whole island feel to it.

Baby Diving??????

Regarding there not being a challenge well I would assume that the 10 year old in the group isn't exactly looking for challenging diving. The shallow reef sites offer great options for this.

For those looking for a challenge Key Largo is in the list of the top ocean technical diving locations any where in the world and that has nothing to do with advertising budget. When was the last time you say advertising on the 200'+ dive sites off Key Largo.

I do think Sea World has Key Largo beat on the advertising budget. Don't get me wrong I see where your coming from on the advert's and regarding marine life if you stick to the reefs that get 500 divers a day on them during the summer your spot on. There are a number of less visited sites that have absolutely amazing reef life. Molasses Reef for example is barren in comparison.

Palm Beach is cool as well but the area lacks that whole island feel to it.
Sorry, I was just remembering back to the last time I got stuck diving in Largo with some friends on a "typical" charter. For me I might as well of gone to a public swimming pool :)

Apologies..
DanV

Dive on the Speigle Grove, Duane, Bibb and Eagle on a windy day with a current and tell me it's 'baby diving'.

Thanks gentlemen. I appreciate any info I can get. I have never been to Florida but I am definitely looking forward to this little adventure.

Back
Top Bottom