If you were going to dive in Florida...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, Key Largo is baby diving ...there is no challenge, and the reef life does not come close to Palm Beach....Of course, the print magazine and general advertising budget of Key Largo is Huge....if dive experiences were related to advertising volume and content, then Key Largo or Maybe Sea World would be the place to go :)
REgards,
DanV

DV is right, as usual. Heading down to SE FL in two weeks. Current plans call for Key Largo but I'd rather get some quality time in the Boynton Beach > West Palm Beach area. Got any lodging suggestions for that WPB>BB stretch? $125+/- per night. Clean, quiet, reasonably violent-free, close to restaurants (e.g., Olive Garden, Outback, etc. - yeah, I know.) TIA.

I seem to have been diving in Florida a lot lately because my failing memory keeps pressing If you were going to dive because the subject is not included in the first few words?

DV is right, as usual. Heading down to SE FL in two weeks. Current plans call for Key Largo but I'd rather get some quality time in the Boynton Beach > West Palm Beach area. Got any lodging suggestions for that WPB>BB stretch? $125+/- per night. Clean, quiet, reasonably violent-free, close to restaurants (e.g., Olive Garden, Outback, etc. - yeah, I know.) TIA.

Violent free would mean Jupiter.:)

We have more cops than Carter has lift bags. With the exception of the occasional domestic incident or landscape worker peeing in the bushes, our crime comes to us via the north bound interstate exit ramp. LOL.

But that is what our cops train for. Last big incident we had 4 thugs come up from Broward to rob a check cashing store. With the quick action of the PD and thanks to the Dogs and Choppers, they were rounded up in a matter of hours.

Oh, we did have an assault recently in the wee hours at an ATM out by the interstate. The perpetrator again, was not from Jupiter.

You won't see security bars on the windows of any of our businesses.

Sorry for the hijack. Just doing my bit for the Chamber of Commerce. As long time area resident Perry Como used to say at the close of each TV show "A little piece of heaven, Jupiter Florida"

Violent free would mean Jupiter.:)

We have more cops than Carter has lift bags. With the exception of the occasional domestic incident or landscape worker peeing in the bushes, our crime comes to us via the north bound interstate exit ramp. LOL.

Yes, when robbery and other such crimes occur in Northern Palm Beach County an automatic call goes into the Broward County Law Enforcement apparatus who a lot of times are waiting their return when I-95 exiting in Broward...

Yes, when robbery and other such crimes occur in Northern Palm Beach County an automatic call goes into the Broward County Law Enforcement apparatus who a lot of times are waiting their return when I-95 exiting in Broward...

LOL. Gardens, North Palm, Jupiter and Tequesta PD's all have the same protocol.

Thanks for the info. Got ressies at the Boynton Courtyard and with Boynton Kev 10/23 AM & PM, and JDC 10/24 AM & PM. (My hijack over.)

Back on task, I live in the Keys and love the diving down here. You can do anything from explore the dock in the my back yard (the Atlantic Ocean) to dropping to 100+ feet on any one of a dozen wrecks. I live in Islamorada on Upper Matacumbe and dive with the folks out of Key Dives quite a bit. They can handle a range of divers, from beginners to instructors and are a very professional outfit. They run thier deeper dives in the morning and shallower dives in the afternoon. Most thier dives are around Alligator reef and there is certainly some decent diving there. They usually go out to the Eagle at least once a week as well.
Dive Duck Key is a few miles further down the road at MM 65.5 at Hawk's Cay Resort. They also run a variety of dives and offer instruction in addition to just diving. They are a fun, easy going group of people but they take thier jobs very seriously and try to ensure you have a good time. Again, they are able to handle a wide age range of divers and everyone has fun. They also do snuba for the kids which is pretty cool too. They tend to dive the Thunderbolt as thier primary wreck. It's not as spectacular as the Eagle but it's pretty decent none the less.
There are a ton of places to stay in Islamorada and this time of year the rates are a bargin. Also, if you stay here there is plenty to do during your surface interval. A few of the resorts in the area are:
Cheeca Lodge and Spa $$$$$
Islander $$$
La Jolla $$
Days Inn (don't know)
and there's about 500 other local hotels and many have efficencies or suites.

Dining...I'm not a big fan of Ziggie and Mad Dogs, The Whale Harbor Seafood Buffet or the Island Grill. Most the other dining establishments are pretty decent.
Agave - Mexican Food
Brazalena - The Best!
Debby Doo's - Sandwiches...huge!
Boardwalk Pizza - Great Pizza

Good luck and enjoy.

Again, I strongly suggest Key Dives. They are just a little more expensive than some of the other shops but you'll have a good time and it's basically worry free diving!

Key Largo, Tavernier and Islamorada.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Don't bother with Key West. The dive operators suck as does the diving. Oh, yeah, and Key West is even more expensive than Key Largo.

Capt. Ed:

Gonna give a shout out and props to Dive Duck Key.

I was down a year or two ago w/ my own boat. I had a a mask malfunction and needed another. The woman (owner or manager?) at the shop let me use a mask, not rent, with no strings to see if it worked for me. Very cool.

Back
Top Bottom