If you were wondering how to secure your cash while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

US Dollars are waterproof, Why do this?

US Dollars are waterproof, Why do this?
Agreed..... When I go on a boat dive I just keep my credit card, tip cash, a few save-a-dive items, etc.....in a hard waterproof hard case in my mesh boat bag. Never been "ripped off" and don't worry about it. For reference and scale, the white card on the top is the back of a typical business card.

zSBLQNK.jpg

For shore diving somewhere like Bonaire, I use a DryFob container for cash, CC, key fob, etc.

PS..... I totally agree with Doc..... If you are at all worried about cash....just put it into a ziplock and in your BC pocket. US Dollars are water and pressure proof. There's a reason that the BVI's on Tortola have "The Soggy Dollar Bar"

I have actually had damp money refused several times in Bonaire and in Egypt. I mentioned that some business will do that in the video. A definite exception is the boat crew. They are usually grateful to get tips wet or dry.

I have actually had damp money refused several times in Bonaire and in Egypt. I mentioned that some business will do that in the video. A definite exception is the boat crew. They are usually grateful to get tips wet or dry.
I love Bonaire and have 20+ visits there. I'll be back for a 10 day trip the first week of May this year. Anyone that won't accept "soggy dollars" won't get my business. But it's their business and their choice so I 100% respect that.

Reactions: Doc
Why would that supository shaped can, be any safer than my camera box in my gear bag? I could just as easily lose it underwater.

I use a very similar "can". Not for cash, but for my car "transmitter" key. My can has a double o-ring seal, and has never leaked. By preference, I will attach it to my dive flag float (with my GPS). If diving in a group, I put it in a spare set of DSMB bungees on my backplate.

I have also had damp money refused on Bonaire.

The whole theft angle is another problem that I've been trying to find alternatives to. A friend of mine had ~$800 stolen at the Allegro in Cozumel around 2017. He had left it in his luggage on his bed right after arriving and going for a tour of the resort with his travel partner. He wasn't gone for long, but it ruined his trip. I have always used the room safes and thought that was barely sufficient. However, after reading about recent thefts at the Hotel Cozumel by Wyndham I'm very leery about using the safes as well.

I'm wishing that there was another non-cash way to tip the dive crew. Something like Paypal that I can do right on the boat would be a nice alternative. At major dive resorts and liveaboards, we can tip with a credit card which is nice. The major downside is that big brother has visibility to the transaction.

Back
Top Bottom