Ikelite DS51 minor flood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My strobe DS51 flooded. This is the second time the strobe has flooded. Once about 10 years ago in Bonaire and now today in Florida. Started the dive and saw some bubbles. So surfaced. Rinsed with fresh water then alcohol. No hair, sand on "o" ring was scratching my head as to why. Then I notice the washer on the door screw broken. I did not even know that this existed.

I have one more day of diving. I can dive without the strobe but prefer to have this strobe. Is there a washer or o ring I can replace until I contact ikelite for a replacement?

BTW: I am assuming that this is the cause of the leak.

Pic enclosed.

Thanks folks.

Attachments

• Ikelite DS door.jpg
    Ikelite DS door.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 193
The washer is there to retain the screw. It's not broken.

Remove the washer to remove the screw. Check under the screw thumbwheel for an oring (other side of your picture).

Thanks guruboy.

Ikelite has great customer service. I email them as well and was told that the washer is not needed for sealing the door. Fortunately the strobe still works. Washing it with fresh water quickly (after minimizing in water time) then followed by alcohol rinse seems to have saved the day. There is minimal rust. Of course for those reading the thread and not too familiar with the strobe, the battery compartment is isolated from the internals. This is a very good feature of this strobe.

I see that the new models have a transparent battery door. This is something I will definitely get once I get back to base.

One other thing: the manual states that there is NO need for silicone on the 'O" ring. I had some on there so there is operator error if that ends up being the cause.

Silicone wouldn't prevent it from sealing. They say not to use lube because that's a static seal, unlike the buttons, and they don't recommend lube for the static seals since that can attract dirt.

I believe the thumbwheel seals against the cover using an oring that gets pressed between them after you screw it down. It's possible that one is worn or dirty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom