Ikelite Housing (HG/HF)...no white balance control??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SPKelpDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I thought everything was gravy, I was planning on getting a Canon HG20 and an Ikelite 6801 housing, than I notice that it doesn't list white balance and a useable function. I have been doing some research on videography and camera functions, one of the main things I hear over and over is the importance of adjusting white balance once you get into the enviornment where you intend to shoot. Than I noticed it isn't listed for any of the HF/HG housings except the HG10. Am I missing something? Is that control through the camera LCD and not actually external? Somebody help me out here.

Molded of clear polycarbonate to provide seamless construction and corrosion proof performance. This "Clearly Superior" design provides full view of the camcorder, control functions, and assurance the system is safe up to 200 feet (60 meters).

Vixia HG20 Housings Features:

Rear-view LCD Monitor
Power on/off Control
Record start/stop
Zoom Control
Snapshot Control
Joystick Controls
Mode Dial Control
Function Button
Removable external UR/Pro Filter

Ok so it says this on the Ikelite website in the description of the housing that I want, I am wondering if white balance in accessible through the joystick controls listed under housing feature. Plus it says it provides full use of control functions, so I should be ok right?
This is where I am confused though...the HG10 housing lists this as housing features...

HG10 Housing Features:
Super-Eye Viewfinder
Power On/Off Control
Record Start/Stop
Zoom Control
Photo/Snapshot Control
Function Button Control
Quickstart/Display Control
Auto/Manual Focus Control
Control Dial
White Balance
Joystick (2 Controls) Navigation Buttons
Mode Switch
Movie/Still Switch
Removable External UR/Pro Filter

I can't imagine Ikelite not including white balance in the HG20 Housing, but I am not ordering my rig till I know for sure...

I think you are right, no white balance, but I would have to look at the camcorder to see where it is and why they couldn't access it. That may explain why the price of the housing is about $250 less than the Sonys (more buttons, more $$).

As far as the HG10, I really don't like that housing with the camcorder. Several reasons - the Canon camcorders don't have a LANC plugin, so the image in mirror is reversed, plus there are knobs on the housing right in front of the mirror! I realize they are trying to give access to the touch screen (probably how you get to the white balance but - Yuck. Bad design. Just my 2 cents.

robin:D

You might want to head down to your local electronics store and play with the camcorders you are considering. Most of the consumer level camcorders have the manual white balance control buried in the menus and use a multifunction control "joystick" or touch screen to set MWB. It's the nature of these small camcorders. You can't have dedicated buttons for everything.

So while a housing may have access to set MWB, that doesn't necessarily mean it will be easy to use. If you find it a little difficult to set MWB with your hands, just imagine what it will be like with an UW housing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom