Ikelite housing not taking photos when deeper than 15m/50ft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amb688

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

So I made the expensive plunge into investing in an Ikelite housing for my Canon 5D MK II with a SEA&SEA YS-250 strobe and a SOLA 800 focus light. I'm using a Canon 100mm macro lens.

I went on a trip to Saipan over the Memorial Holiday and for the most part I enjoyed my new hobby with some expected problems like carrying a heavy sucker, you will get some cuts and bruises, I also have some issues with focusing one the first day of dicing but realized my mistake of setting up the lens focus distance to 0.3-0.5 only.

My question is this: on the second day of diving whenever I went past around 15m my camera would stop taking photos!!! :shocked2: the flash would still fire and the camera sounds like it is taking pictures however the previews come out black, I can also not review the photos (replay button does nothing) and most of the camera functions did not work anymore. Once we go back up to a shallower depth the camera would start working again. Anyone experience this? Any pointers as to why this would happen?

My only guess is that a button is being pushed at higher pressure, which disables the camera but I couldn't figure out anything wrong with any of the buttons.

My only guess is that a button is being pushed at higher pressure, which disables the camera but I couldn't figure out anything wrong with any of the buttons.

My guess as well. You would have to check every button while at depth to see if one is sticking. Are you soaking the housing after each saltwater dive? Salt can build up behind the buttons causing them to stick, but this sounds like a weak spring, as it shouldn't be happing with an Ikelite until you hit 200ft or so. If you purchased the housing from a dealer, giver them a call and see what they suggest.

My guess would be that you didn't have the camera seated correctly on the second day. Check and make sure the base is fully seated before closing, make sure you have the "Power" lever on the housing in the off position when you install the camera (on some housings, the lever won't align if you install the camera with the housing lever in the "on"position. I've had buttons not function when I forgot to lock down the camera tray as well, because the camera is loose inside. I shoot Sea & Sea, not Ikelite, but I'm sure there are similar issues with Ikelite.

Back
Top Bottom