Ikelite Internal Wide Angle Lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For full WA coverage you want the dome port. Flat port will cut down coverage by about 25% due to water refraction.

The vignetting is caused by the Raynox lens. You may or may not have the problem. The vignette does not show up on my camcorder lcd or when the footage is shown on a HDTV. WA adapters for camcorders can be tricky. The same lens can work well on 1 camcorder but not another. If possible you want to try out the adapter before buying or find footage on the web with the same camcorder adapter combination.

So I am about to pull the trigger and buy the WA lens and port. Do I get the 5050-Pro or 5050-Pro LE ??? There is $10 difference, all I can find in description is the LE is made for HD. Very confusing. I am going to get the dome port, if that matters --- but now that I think about it, does that cause an issue with the color filter? Do they make a filter for the dome? :confused4:

edit: just looked at the photo of the dome port and it doesn't seem that the lens sticks out far enough to conflict with a filter. Which size filter? Does my current one fit? It seems like it would. :confused4:

robin

Hey Robin.

The LE version is the same lens in black.

You need a different external Ikelite filter for the dome port. Here is the model number.

My offer to you still stands if you want to try before you buy.

thanks Ron! I think I am going to go ahead and order them, no need to try first as I know I will use the WA lens topside, too. The camcorder is our family camcorder so it gets plenty of use, not just underwater. Thanks again, you are awesome!

robin:D

:D Okay, got the WA lens yesterday (thanks Amazon!) and I love it already. It is going to make great topside videos for sure. I can already imagine how great it will be underwater! Balloon Fiesta starts here in a few days and since I go several days and shoot topside videos, this will be amazing!!! I was very frustrated last year with the standard lens on my camcorder. Woo Hoo! I am so psyched. :banana:

The port and filter are on order with B&H but they are closed for the week so I won't get it until Oct. I will definitely post some underwater video with it by the end of that month. :D

Okay.... shot some video topside this past week using the WA lens. You can see some vignetting on one side when zoomed out completely. It doesn't really bother me, but some people may not like the effect.

[vimeo]15905710[/vimeo]

I will be taking the WA lens underwater next weekend, as soon as I get the new Ikelite port installed, that is. :wink:

Nice clip Robin. Any footage from up in a balloon ?

Look forward to seeing some UW footage. If you got the external filter, make sure it's fully pushed on the port. If you don't, the camcorder might see a little of the black.

Nice clip Robin. Any footage from up in a balloon ?

Look forward to seeing some UW footage. If you got the external filter, make sure it's fully pushed on the port. If you don't, the camcorder might see a little of the black.

Thanks Ron.. Nope, no footage up in a balloon. I haven't been up yet. Ron is crewing for a balloon regularly now, one from here locally, so he has gone up twice. He took some photos with his cell phone (forgot his camera) which are pretty cool but no video. Maybe someday!

here is another video, clips of the balloon with Ron crewing:
[vimeo]15930828[/vimeo]

Went diving this past weeknd and finally got to try out the new port and WA lens.
WOW wow WOW! I am totallly blown away by the quality of the video shot with the lens. No vignetting at all, either. None. Video is crystal clear, and not dark. I was concerned that it would make shooting deep and dark areas difficult but NOT at all. I am sooooo pleased with my purchase!!!

I will try to get something edited this week and post.

Back
Top Bottom