Question Ikelite shutter release spring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GreyhoundsAreFast

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, the shutter release spring on my Ikelite UC62856 hosing (for Olympus Tough TG5) came off. I’ve read on Amazon reviews that this isn’t an uncommon problem.

Can anyone send a link if there’s a guide for reinstalling it (I wasn't anle to find one)? Or if you have an ikelite housing that looms like this one, would yoh be able to reply with a pic showing how it goes in?

Thanks!

View attachment 754471View attachment 754473View attachment 754474

Some years back, I sent my Ikelite housing to Ikelite Underwater Systems to have some upgrade work done on it. The shutter lever spring had developed a habit of slipping off. While it wasn't a huge problem and I hadn't requested any work be done on it, their tech people simply bent the end of the spring around the lever to keep it from coming off. It didn't take much of a bend with a pair of needle-nosed pliers to keep it on.

-AZTinman

Some years back, I sent my Ikelite housing to Ikelite Underwater Systems to have some upgrade work done on it. The shutter lever spring had developed a habit of slipping off. While it wasn't a huge problem and I hadn't requested any work be done on it, their tech people simply bent the end of the spring around the lever to keep it from coming off. It didn't take much of a bend with a pair of needle-nosed pliers to keep it on.

-AZTinman
Yeah… but 1) I’m not in America. They only service housings there. Shipping plus work plus shipping would probably be like $50 and two months. And 2) I can do this myself if I just have a photo.

I think you missed the point I was trying to make. You don't need to send the housing back to Ikelite; you can put a little bend on the end of the spring yourself.

My shutter spring actually broke a little over a year ago and I sent the housing to Ikelite for service work for the second time. In addition to needing a new spring, the strobe electronics needed some service work too. When they replaced the original spring, they did not bend the end of the new one to keep it from slipping off the lever like they had done with the original one during an earlier service trip.

I fixed it the second time around with a couple of needle-nosed pliers. It works best if you do the bend without the lever engaged in the spring. Only bend it enough to keep the spring from slipping out. Just reach in with your finger to hold the spring in place when you snap the lever back into it.

In the accompanying photo, both the shutter and video lever springs have been bent enough to prevent the levers from slipping out.

-AZTinman

Attachments

• IMG_0873.jpg
    IMG_0873.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 67

Back
Top Bottom