I'll be visiting NZ in June (through August!!!)...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterkitty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
...and I would love to do some diving. I know it'll be winter, but I'm from New England, US - I've been immersed in cold water up here :D

I was wondering what's my best bet for diving, what kind of gear should I bring with me - I've got everything, but I'll need to bring enough stuff to live on for those two months too :blinking: so I am going to try and keep the diving stuff minimal. I will bring all my exposure stuff (wetsuit, hoods, mitts, booties and might as well toss in the mask and fins too). Where's the best place to go in the winter?

I'll be based in Nelson (doing research on the evil tunicate Didemnum) and am looking to travel to as many places as I can.

Cheers,
Linda

Linda

I was in NZ this past Oct (early spring) and dove out of Picton which is not far from Nelson. Dive Marlborough shop are top notch http://www.godive.co.nz/ Brent is a great guide/owner operator. The water temp then was 55F I highly recommend a dry suit if not a 7 mm.

Nelson is a great town especially if you like wine, NZ has some really tasty wines and the food is just awesome, if you love mussels nothing compares to NZ. If you have the time to go to Kaikoura go, it's a beautiflu coast line drive, it was 2 hrs from Picton. There is a winery along the way with great lunch the rest of the drive is breath taking with hugh mountains on the right with snow caps and beautiful ocean on the left with fur seals bathing in the sun on big bolders. Once in Kaikoura there you can dive with the fur seals and great place to see whales and lots of dolphin.

Another place to go is Wellington the capital of NZ which you'll Have to take the ferry from Picton that is a 3 hour tour. You will want to over night there a few days. Wellington has so much to offer some of the best shopping, musiums, theaters over 300 restaurants and pubs and everything can be done in walking distance or take a bus.

I can go on and on about NZ, you will have a great time. If you need any more info you can reach me at www.scubaplanners.com or bbuchanan@scubaplanners.com

Babs

Bring a drysuit. Prepare to have dives cancelled due to bad weather. If you can see if you can get to dive White Island and The Poor Knights Islands. Dive White are your best bet for White island and Poor Knights Divers(us-www.pkdive.co.nz) for the Knights.

Have fun. Nz is an awesome place

Winter is the best time to dive...less traffic and far better viz.
Giz a yell if ya need someone to show you some good diving up north...Martin can help with the Poor Knights and I can help with Poor Knights and below

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom