I'm a SeaSigns instructor if you have any questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, but surely "Where is the Divemaster?" should not require detailed complex signing underwater?!?!

It's a very cool website though but unfortunately it will serve very little purpose for me who is thousands of kilometers (make that miles) away from America and other speakers of American Sign Language.

When I say complex and detailed I mean being able to communicate underwater everything that can be said using sign just as complex and detailed as if you were talking on land. That is what ASL has that makes it an amazing language to learn, I am sure there is a South African version of ASL or BSL (British sign Language).You can take some courses and learn this if you are interested and serious enough to devote some time to it. Otherwise just make up some signs you and your buddy can use.

however the course requires a confined water dive which is a little more difficult to arrange over the ether!

Hmmm, how about a Virtual Dive. (I know where you can get a great deal on some Virtual Reality goggles!) The good part would be that everyone would have perfect neutral bouyancy! :wink:

Deefstes -

I just ran into this thread. I think that we've communicated before. S.Africa uses both SASL (South African Sign Language and is similiar to ASL) There are also Deaf Afrikans that use - you guesed it, but from past research, the SA govt - recognizes SSL.

NAIBDiver - interpreter in US

OK, but surely "Where is the Divemaster?" should not require detailed complex signing underwater?!?!

It's a very cool website though but unfortunately it will serve very little purpose for me who is thousands of kilometers (make that miles) away from America and other speakers of American Sign Language.
In ASL you'd shake your index finger (where?) followed by one hand pulling along (guiding) the other hand (leader), "where leader?" My problem with all these approaches are the number of signs that require the use of two hands, something that should be avoided as much as possible.

setup before dive and agree upon the (fingerspell letters) "d" & "m" = divemaster. One hand "d" + "m" + ASL sign "WHERE" .

One handed, I just asked "Where's the divemaster ?"

I sign one handed all the time. Cup of tea in one hand and talk with the other - no problem

(Or give the divemaster a quick name sign (again setup beforehand and agree upon)

BTW - I am not a SeaSigns Instructor (disclaimer). I work in the Washington DC (US) area as an interpreter.

Last edited:
What about signing for underwater videography and photography? I've been searching for signs I can work with my subjects but have had to adapt signs from military etc. Does SeaSigns include signs for things like, "look at then and hold the pose" or "no bubbles, I'm taking the shot"?

I think saltybubbles is a friend of mine that used my laptop. I'm the one that posted the last question about SeaSigns for underwater photography etc. Thanks for any help.

Greetings

Being a DM and taken the SeaSigns course, I'd ask where the DM is the following way: Question, DiveMaster, Don't Know

Question: Use the ? sign (draw the questions mark with your forefinger)
DiveMaster: Most instructors refer to divemasters by putting three fingers from their right hand on their left shoulder. I thinik it's a sign of stripes ala the military, but it seems to be quite universal between instructors.
Don't Know: For don't know, I'd use the universal non-ASL body language, as in put both palms up, lift both shoulders, have a questioned look on your face (raise eyebrows), and perhaps look side to side a little. If you wanted to use the seasigns motions, you could signal 'not' and 'idea' for don't know.

Course, if you don't know where your dive leader is, chances are some other dive leader who happens to be near by probably doesn't either. : )

Happy Diving!
Jeremy

I've always wanted to know how to signal to my buddy, "I'm scared to go that way, I can't see anything, you go first!"

Back
Top Bottom