I'm addicted but non-divers don't care

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel your pain. I tend to get ah...a little involved in anything I do. I have had the same problem many times but my friends understand it's just the way I am. Luckily many of our friends are divers also and most have significant others that are in the same line of work as my SO so it works out good when we get together, they talk shop we talk diving. Now when my daughter was playing competition softball that was another story, wanna hear about it?

... unless a person is a fellow diver they don't get it. :scubadiver

I share your pain ... people will ask what it's like, you get this faraway look in your eys, start spacing out like you just saw the mothership land in front of your house, and you wax poetic about the wonders of the deep ...

Your friends look at you like you're losing it, give you a fake smile, say, " Oh, yeah, right ..." and sort of drift off. :shakehead:

When we have company over for dinner, I put in a CD of trip pics from someplace exotic, and let it cycle on the wide screen TV, while some nice background music plays. This is all off to the side of the social activity. A guest who wants to get taken in by the pictures will, and then you can answer their questions.

Whine, Whine, Whine! You guys think you have it tough, but try being an obsessed diver who lives on a Caribbean island. Very few Caribbean people dive (certainly, very few Caymanians) so, even though the reef is within spitting distance, no one in your social group may actually CARE! Of course, there is always the tourist community ...

... and what if all of those locals did dive??? What a zoo! That's like living here in the mountains, and being glad only a small percentage of the locals ski. Be happy! :wink:

It's been 2 weeks since my last dive and 3 weeks since my first. I had no idea how addicting it would be. In the last 2 weeks I spent a small fortune on books and equipment. The other day I took my boat out for a short fishing trip and passed a group shore diving from a beach. I wanted to jump off and join them. I was watching them so intently that I almost hit a buoy. I look forward to my next dive like a kid looks forward to Christmas!

I've been there..
We were invited to dinner only to hear about the hosts dive trips and look at their pictures.
Yep.. hmm interesting fish.. hmm.. yep another interesting fish.. Oh my, another interesting fish. Can you eat those? Say can I have more wine please..

Scuba just isn't something that normal people get into. It's like any other passion.. best shared with those who share it.
But when it gets hold of you it can be like a drug.. you can get a bit obsessive about it. I speak for myself of course.

And yes.. I am very glad that everyone doesn't dive. Every dive site would be like an amusement park if they did and there would be nothing but rocks and sand left.

It's been 2 weeks since my last dive and 3 weeks since my first. I had no idea how addicting it would be. In the last 2 weeks I spent a small fortune on books and equipment. The other day I took my boat out for a short fishing trip and passed a group shore diving from a beach. I wanted to jump off and join them. I was watching them so intently that I almost hit a buoy. I look forward to my next dive like a kid looks forward to Christmas!

Beach 8th?:D

I'm addicted to diving. It's all I can think about when I'm not focused on tasks at hand. And I want to share my passion with others. Unfortunately, unless a person is a fellow diver they don't get it. And some fellow divers don't get it either unless they are truly hooked.

I'm taken aback by this and wonder how others have handled such encounters. Any tales or tips? Fun and sarcastic repartee welcome.

:scubadiver
I just recently got my OW card and I have been running into similar problems! After only being on a few dives, i find myself unable to talk about anything but. Unfortunately, the people I work with couldnt seem to care less! But I dont stop telling them how excited i am about my new BC or how stoked I am for the treasure dive next week. I think my diving boyfriend is even getting sick of hearing me! Just wanna express my love, ya know?! And MAYBE get some of my friends to get certified!!! ....If they only knew......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom